Stupid question about reinstalling WinXP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymetwister

Baseband Member
Ok, I have a PC that I bought with WinXP on it... and the only way to reinstall it is to use the Restore CD that came with it, which sets it back to its factory condition.

I'm building a new computer, but I don't want to buy another copy of Windows XP, I'd just like to use the copy I have. Would it work to just swap the hard drive out of the old one into the new PC, run the restore disc and install Windows? Is the CD just connected with the hard drive? Or do I need to do something else? What else might I need to know about this?

Thanks...

It -might- work, but I doubt it.

You'll have to uninstall the drivers for everything and install the ones that came with the hardware. It might not even install because the components won't be correct.

it wont work by switching harddrives, the restore is tied in with the previos mobo it came with.

yes, the motherboard and hdd are "linked" with premade computers.

You can just use your win CD and try a fresh install.

Try downloading and burning a bootable copy of XP and use RockXP3 to get your product code for XP on your current hard drive. Then do a fresh install and use the product code you lifted using RockXP3.

I was gonna ask about the legality of it. Is there a LEGAL way for me to copy my old Windows onto my new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom