Stuck at XP loading screen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Stuck at XP loading screen

Fixing a friend's computer and for some reason I'm unable to get past the windows XP loading screen... It's a formated drive so nothing is on it, I haven't been able to check to see if it works as a secondary yet because at the moment I am deprived of vital supplies that being a SATA power cable... Any ideas as to what the problem is?
My guess is the power supply is dying out since sometimes the monitor isn't receiving any power.

Any suggestions will help! Thankyou

Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Stuck at XP loading screen

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurthinAziz View Post
Fixing a friend's computer and for some reason I'm unable to get past the windows XP loading screen... It's a formated drive so nothing is on it...
By formatted, do you mean that it has a clean installation of Windows XP on the hard drive, or do you mean that it's completely blank with no data on it whatsoever?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

If that's what deleting a partition on a drive does... then yes xD
Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Okay, if this is a new installation of XP on this drive (or partition) and it won't load past the xp loading screen it was probably a bad install. Reinstall the OS.

If this is a current installation of XP that has worked up to this point, then try to do a repair install to fix the operating system while keeping the user files and programs in tact.

If you don't have a copy of the install disc (or any similar version of XP) try to boot to safe mode and use system recovery back to a point when the computer loaded up properly.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Can you clarify as to why it would be an installation failure if it doesn't go past the loading screen? o.O Wouldn't it come up with a type of error during the installation process?

I'm thinking of doing a live boot linux and see if I can access the hd from there and I'll see where it goes from there...
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

at what point does the system stop loading? during install & at what percentage is the install @? i have found that @ %39 the system is installing the video card. try hitting f10 during install to bring up cmd window. then type devmgmt.msc in cmd prompt see if there is hardware that is loading drivers if so you could disable what ever hardware that is causing the install to hang

good luck

Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurthinAziz View Post
Can you clarify as to why it would be an installation failure if it doesn't go past the loading screen? o.O Wouldn't it come up with a type of error during the installation process?

I'm thinking of doing a live boot linux and see if I can access the hd from there and I'll see where it goes from there...
If this is a new install and XP won't load fully, OS files could have not been copied or isntalled correctly, so when the OS tries to call on those files it us unable to load.

I've seen where the os fully installs, but then won't boot properly or at all after installation.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

I see, thanks for everything and I guess you were right! Never thought of it being able to install without any errors improperly... But I found my original XP cd and was able to install it that way... just need to install the drivers now! Thank you everyone

Closed Thread