Stuck at XP loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingasis

In Runtime
Fixing a friend's computer and for some reason I'm unable to get past the windows XP loading screen... It's a formated drive so nothing is on it, I haven't been able to check to see if it works as a secondary yet because at the moment I am deprived of vital supplies that being a SATA power cable... Any ideas as to what the problem is?
My guess is the power supply is dying out since sometimes the monitor isn't receiving any power.

Any suggestions will help! Thankyou

Hi,
Fixing a friend's computer and for some reason I'm unable to get past the windows XP loading screen... It's a formated drive so nothing is on it...
By formatted, do you mean that it has a clean installation of Windows XP on the hard drive, or do you mean that it's completely blank with no data on it whatsoever? :wtf:

Okay, if this is a new installation of XP on this drive (or partition) and it won't load past the xp loading screen it was probably a bad install. Reinstall the OS.

If this is a current installation of XP that has worked up to this point, then try to do a repair install to fix the operating system while keeping the user files and programs in tact.

If you don't have a copy of the install disc (or any similar version of XP) try to boot to safe mode and use system recovery back to a point when the computer loaded up properly.

Can you clarify as to why it would be an installation failure if it doesn't go past the loading screen? o_O Wouldn't it come up with a type of error during the installation process?

I'm thinking of doing a live boot linux and see if I can access the hd from there and I'll see where it goes from there...

at what point does the system stop loading? during install & at what percentage is the install @? i have found that @ %39 the system is installing the video card. try hitting f10 during install to bring up cmd window. then type devmgmt.msc in cmd prompt see if there is hardware that is loading drivers if so you could disable what ever hardware that is causing the install to hang

good luck

Can you clarify as to why it would be an installation failure if it doesn't go past the loading screen? o_O Wouldn't it come up with a type of error during the installation process?

I'm thinking of doing a live boot linux and see if I can access the hd from there and I'll see where it goes from there...
If this is a new install and XP won't load fully, OS files could have not been copied or isntalled correctly, so when the OS tries to call on those files it us unable to load.

I've seen where the os fully installs, but then won't boot properly or at all after installation.

I see, thanks for everything and I guess you were right! Never thought of it being able to install without any errors improperly... But I found my original XP cd and was able to install it that way... just need to install the drivers now! Thank you everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom