Strange Video Card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh45

Beta member
I took out my video card to test another card in the system that wasn't working in another computer. It didn't work so I put the original card back in. Now the PC just displays a black screen when I press the power button.

The card was working fine before I tested the other one. I've triple checked all the connections and everything is exactly how it was. What is the problem?

i dont know if this could even be possible but maybe when you installed the other card that didnt work, it installed the driver for it and deleted your original video card driver. try seeing if you can somehow reinstall the driver for the original video card. or maybe try another open AGP or PCI-express slot if one is open.

Well I tried both slots on the video card, same problem with both; and the monitor cord won't fit into the integrated slot. I'm not sure how to go about reinstalling the driver if I can't see anything.

Have you tried resetting the bios? That's one of the 'standard' things to do when something like this happens. Rules out any possibility that it's a setting on the pc that's causing the fault.

Shutdown the computer, take the power cord out.
Remove the CMOS battery (looks like a silver coin) and press the power button
Replace the battery, plug the pc back in.

Shutdown the computer, take the power cord out.
Remove the CMOS battery (looks like a silver coin) and press the power button
Replace the battery, plug the pc back in.

Hm I've never heard of pressing in the power button... I just leave the battery out for a while (like 10 minutes).

What this does is reset the BIOS back to factory settings so... try to remember how you had the BIOS set. lol

pressing the power button just drains the system of any residual charge
Side note, you don't need to leave the battery out for 10 minutes, a few seconds is usually enough (ESPECIALLY if you press the power button)
but either way works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom