Strange USB Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormierre

Beta member
Hello everyone, this is my first post; I've never actually posted on a forum for help before but I can't find any resource on what this is or how to fix it.

I received a new computer around christmas time, and I've been using it up until now.
I'm not sure when this issue began to occur as it's a very subtle one to me.
(Especially since the only USB device I usually ever use is a mouse)

Anyway, my computer seems to be working improperly with any USB related things I connect.
Key point being that they WORK, just not properly.

I've tried formatting very recently and it still persists.
I first noticed it when playing Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer, as my perspective was jumping randomly when I tried to precisely aim.
It WAS almost unnoticable while turning/moving the mouse fast, but it seems to have gotten alot worse since then.

This issue is alot more noticable when using the mouse cursor on my desktop.
The cursor CLEARLY glitches when moving in any direction.
I've carefully drawn some lines on a BMP in MSPaint and saved the result.

Test.jpg

In comparison, I've tried a cheap acer PS/2 optical mouse that came with this computer. This was the result.

Test2.jpg

My USB mouse is a Microsoft SideWinder. (not an X5/X8 model; just the original)
I have two of it; one on this computer and one on an older computer upstairs.
I've tried switching the mouses themselves, switching to other surfaces (wooden desktop, paper, my wall, the carpet, a table), and the results are either the same or worse on this computer, while flawless on the older one.
I've also tried switching between USB ports on the top, back, and the one on the front.

The only thing that has changed about my computer since I got it was that I purchased a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT (EVGA packaging) from NewEgg and installed it.
I note that the supplemental power-cord that came with it had two 1x4 plugs to be connected from the card to the PSU, but as the PSU only had one available, that's all I've used.
It has worked on all games I've tried up to this point, most with highest setting and still very playable results.
For example, Call of Duty 4 (especially MP) runs maxed out on 1280x960 with well over 120 FPS.
Before this card, I used an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro.
Also, the computer came with an ATI Radeon HD 3450.

I'm not sure if both plugs being used is necessary, or optional;
I've never been at a decent understanding of hardware.
Only software, so I had a friend of mine pick out this videocard based off of the computer specifications I gave him.
Also, this lack of hardware knowledge I have is why I've mentioned just about every detail, no matter how small, as I'm not sure what is capable of causing this issue.

Also, in my Device manager I notice that two things are not installed.

SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - Read the next part before assuming

I've looked everywhere for drivers for these based on what PCWizard told me.
Notably though, on my old computer I was missing these as well, and the mice always and still do work properly on that one.
Also, I've never had them installed on this computer, and the mice used to work on it as well.

My main computer specifications are:

Mainboard : Acer RS740DVF
Chipset : AMD RS690/RS690M
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2500 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB (DDR2)
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (640 GB)
Operating System :Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

I'll post up any other specifications needed upon request.

I have no idea what's causing this, but it's near impossible to play any FPS games anymore.
I USED to be able to outshoot many snipers in CoD4 with SMGs or pistols, but that is pretty much impossible now.

Anyway, if anyone could help me with this, or even point me in a certain direction, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
It really kills me that I finally have a decent PC as a gaming platform, I'm having such a difficult-to-pinpoint issue.

Also, PM me if I've misconcepted any of the rules.
I read them thoroughly, but just to be sure.

Thanks very much for reading!

Go to Acer's website and look up your make and model for hte mother board. From there install the Chipset drivers. Which should contain the drivers for the USB Devices which should correct your issue.

If for some strange reason reinstalling your drivers for USB devices doesn't solve your problem, you could always do the following:

Since your standard mouse that came with the PC works fine in the PS/2 connector, you could always purchase one of these: Cables Unlimited ADP-5200 Adapter USB Female to PS2 Male at TigerDirect.com and use your sidewinder. (The mouse you game with.)

But, maks suggestion should work.

It could be the mouse also, so give that a looksie, but I would suggest what Mak and Havoc told ya.

For some reason, my model (Acer AM1201) or anything similar cannot be found at the Acer websites.
A while back, I tried the drivers for a 1200 model, but they did not work.
After much googling, I've found a site that has (apparently working) drivers for my model:
Aspire M1200 M1201 M3200 M3201 M5200 M5201 Windows XP and Vista Drivers

I finally managed to download CHIPSET.rar, and after using the installer in the main folder and restarting (the installer was successful), the USB issue still persists.
I could not find any other installers in the CHIPSET folder that would be able to solve the issue. (only things like Catalyst Control Center and the Display Driver for ATI GPUs)

I have several USB-to-PS/2 adapters here, but I'd prefer not to use it as it's supposed to limit the potential of a gaming mouse.

Are there any other things I could try?

I'm going to install a distribution of Linux (probably Ubuntu) or Windows Seven as they're likely to have drivers I can use. At least then I'll know whether or not the problem is software.

By the way, thanks for such rapid and helpful responses to my post.
I'm glad I came here for help, even if I don't manage to fix the problem.

Your best bet will be to try a Linux LiveCD to see if the situation still occurs. Windows 7 might have some driver support but if Vista doesnt right now the chances of Win7 having the support you need is not likely since most of the drivers for Win7 right now are Vista based drivers.

The reason for that is that most companies will not support a Beta OS. Since Win7 is still in its beta stages very few companies have released any driver support and wont until the OS is released. Which may not be till next year.

So if the problem is persistant in Vista it is more than likely it will be there in Win7. Plus you will have to factor in that some of the software and games you are running might not work in Win7 as not everything does at this point in time as well.

So your best option will be to try a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu and see if it is present there. If not then you know it is related to the lack of driver support.

I installed Ubuntu earlier today, and the USB issues still persist. (all USB mice were still glitchy)
Another clue arose though; While I was backing up my data before formatting, I noticed that my DVD-writer was working strangely while burning DVD+Rs.

It seemed that when the DVD spun inside the drive at a certain speed, it would cease, slow down, and start over continuously.
It never began to write so it would freeze the program and my computer, and I would have to restart manually.
The solution was to burn at a lower speed (4x).

I'm starting to think this may all be caused by my power supply unit.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm willing to go purchase a new one after some research,
(or speak to those who tender the warranty for the computer about it) if it's worth my time.

It's possible that the 9800GT pushed it over the edge but it could also be a motherboard issue. On the linux live CD there is probably a utility on the boot menu for memtest86+ I recommend running that for a few hours to see if you get any errors. Buying a new PSU is not a bad idea regardless of whether or not it is causing the issues.
Also it's a pleasure to help someone like yourself who is polite and concise. Repped.

I did some digging and found a possible driver for you, based on the chipset you have. I found it on Driver Guide, as ATI RC410 And SB450.

I have uploaded it to RapidShare. Here is the link to it:
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
The download is only good for 10 downloads within 90 days.

Give that a shot.

It's possible that the 9800GT pushed it over the edge but it could also be a motherboard issue. On the linux live CD there is probably a utility on the boot menu for memtest86+ I recommend running that for a few hours to see if you get any errors. Buying a new PSU is not a bad idea regardless of whether or not it is causing the issues.
Also it's a pleasure to help someone like yourself who is polite and concise. Repped.

This distribution does have that option in the bootloader.
I never understood it's use before, but I'll be sure to try it today and see the result.
And thanks very much!

I did some digging and found a possible driver for you, based on the chipset you have. I found it on Driver Guide, as ATI RC410 And SB450.

I have uploaded it to RapidShare. Here is the link to it:
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
The download is only good for 10 downloads within 90 days.

Give that a shot.

Ah, this is the SMBus Controller driver that I needed.
Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom