strange temperature readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblade

Solid State Member
I've been trying to resolve this subject for three days now, and finally I decided to ask here.
When the summer started to get really warm around here, I decided to check my computer's temperatures. I've had this computer since last October. My motherboard is Asus P5K, and my processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, with stock cooling. So I installed PC Probe II, which came with the motherboard. My first choice would have been MBM, but it doesn't support my motherboard.

So, the first thing the program was started, it gave an alarm about the motherboard temperature: 45C. The second thing that caught my attention was the CPU temperature: 22C. I thought that was awfully low, especially when the room temperature at that day was 28C. I checked the bios, same readings.

Then I tried to remove the case sidepanel, since I've noticed that sometimes it helps. That's when the real weirdness started. The motherboard temperature came down to 36C, which was good. But at the same time the CPU readings in the PC Probe also started to come down - yesterday it showed 15C most of the time. I checked the bios, it showed that the motherboard temperature was indeed 36C, but the CPU was around 21C. So I figured that maybe there's something wrong with PC Probe, and installed Speedfan. It showed 16C.

So. Is it normal that the CPU's temperature is lower than the room temperature? Today when the bios showed the 21C reading, the room temperature was around 25C. I've been trying to gather information about the normal idle temperature of my CPU, and as far as I can understand it should be around 30C. The reason why I'm concerned about this is that if the readings are incorrect, and if the temperature, for some reason, starts to go too high, the CPU is fried before the computer reacts to it since it thinks that the temperatures are lower than they really are. Also, why do the temperature measuring programs give readings 5C lower than the bios? When I was doing research on this matter, I happened to read that in bios the CPU load is about 70%, so the bios readings are higher than when in Windows, idle. I found this rather questionable,I've never heard anything like it before.

I'm sorry for the long post, I tried to include as much information as I could. I'd really appreciate it of someone could shed a little light on this matter. I'll be happy to provide any additional information if needed.

i don't know if it is a problem but it sounds very strange. You might have to update the bios and drivers of the chipset. I use a program called lavalys home edition, which i find to be very use full to monitor temps and things. just google it and you should find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom