Strange RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
I recently bought 2x512mb corsair value DIMMs and stuck them in my Aopen AK77-600GN. No problem there.
Afterwards, I thought "why don't i use a leftover 256mb DIMM to fill that leftover slot in the mobo?!" When I did so, it wouldn't boot.
Is there any reason for this? I've tried all the sticks in all the slots,
they're all 400mhz. Could it just be that the Hynix 256mb stick just doesn't like sharing?

It's not that important, but it would be nice to be able to use all three RAM slots.

Cheers.

what speed is your ram? It could be that you need to put ram in as pairs. but i dont think thats your problem. Have you tried sticking the ram into another open slot, if you have any?

All the sticks work on their own, and they all the same speed - 400mhz.

Before i bought the 1gb, i had 3x256mb (1x400mhz 2x333mhz) in there, and that was fine.

I'm befuddled.

Oh, and i only have three slots.

my guess would be that the new ram and the old ram are incompatible. (could be timings/latencey are different?)

One thing you might try is mixing the population of the sticks, try the 256 in slot one, then one of the 512s- see if it posts. Then try reversing the population. It's not uncommon for different chip memory to be incompatible however. What chips are on the corsair value ram?

nope the chips will have a model and probably aren't made by corsair. for instance my ram has winbond bh-5 (yes i am showing off a little but its an example) it will be hard to find out that information but i could tell you the quick answer: no they are not the same chips, at least it would be highly unlikely that they are given the different manufacturer etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom