strange problem when burning to cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

castew

Beta member
Hi I've got one heck of a strange pc probelm going on here and im running out of people to ask about it.

Basically whenever i try write to a cd it gets part way through and my entire pc powers down. I even have to unplug it from the mains for about 5 seconds before it'll turn on again. so far i've tried these things....

ive changed the hard drives that are plugged in
used another instalation of windows on another drive that i had from a previous accident (long story, lol)
chaned the ide cable
changed the master and slave settings on the ide channel
changed the power supply
changed the cd drive
tried slowing the write speed down
turned off buffer underun protection
tried burning to cd with 5 different applications

None of thats changed anything, I cant find anything on google about it and to add to it all event viewer aint logging a thing when it happens.

Any ideas would be very very welcome indeed and bonus points awarded for the inclusion of a monkey in the fix! A basic summary of my computers spec follows...

Operating System----------Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU Type--------------------AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard----------------MSI K9N ULtra Socket AM2
System Memory------------1024 MB DDR-2
Graphics Card--------------RADEON X550 (256 MB)
Sata Hard Drive------------Diamond Maxtor 250gb
IDE Hard Drive-------------IBM somethign or other 45gb
optical drive----------------Phillips dvd/rw combo thingy, you know what i mean

I'm thinking 1 of 2 things:

1) The power cable is bad. I actually had a power cable that came with my OCZ (reputable brand) PSU that would lose contact and shut my computer off if I so much as looked at it funny.

2) Both PSUs that you had tried were underpowered. This would normally cause a reboot, but a shut down is possible as well.

1) this problem is very specific to when im writing to cd's it happens everytime i wirte to a cd and never any other time so doubt its any loose connection or bad power cable. but i tried it anyway and no difference. i changed both the internal power cables for the ide devices and the external power cable to the mains supply.

2) they're both 400W psu's and i dont think id even be able to easily find more.

Well that's interesting. The only other thing that I can think of is the IDE controller on the motherboard itself. Have you tried upgrading a) IDE drivers b) the BIOS (flashing)?

There isn't a whole lot that could be left other than the motherboard and it's components...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom