Strange problem with UPC scanner PS/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertkn

Beta member
Hi, new poster here. I'm having a strange problem with a computer running a point of sale accounting system. The hardware setup is a pretty typical Gateway pc with PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse. Our a UPC scanner is wedged into the keyboard interface.

Everything worked fine like this for years, then one day this strange problem started occurring. When ringing up a sale you can scan a few items and everything works fine--i.e., you scan the upc code and the description of the item from the inventory displays on the screen immediately. However, every several scans there will be a pause of up to about 20 seconds before the inventory read takes. The bizarre thing is that if you move the mouse it triggers the inventory read immediately. You don't have to click a button, just give the mouse a little nudge.

The problem is intermittant. You never know when it's going to happen. So, if you're scanning away and not paying attention it is possible to skip an item when this happens. That's bad for business!

I don't understand why there would be any conflict between the keyboard and mouse because the KB and scanner are PS/2, and the mouse is USB.

Any insight from you hardware gurus would be apprciated.

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom