Strange power related problem, Monitor turning off when moved and doing strange things.

holmes321

Beta member
A couple of days ago I got a new monitor, as I was having some strange issues with my old one. It started off that occasionally when booting my computer, my monitor would just turn off (completely, not even display the orange light) and not be able to be turned back on until I had left it switched off at the wall for a few minutes.

It turned out that if I booted my computer with the monitor off, then turned it on after the whole windows startup and everything was complete, it would work. However, after a while this too stopped working and my monitor would fail to turn on at all.

I've just bought a new Monitor and it is all swell and good, however I'm having a strange problem when I move the monitor (which I do sometimes if I'm going to watch some TV on it or a film etc.), where if the power cable gets moved and slightly disconnected, it will turn off the monitor (obviously) but then also some of my USB peripherals will disconnect but not by being physically unplugged (I have a USB sound driver I use for recording which is hooked up to some speakers, and the 2 orange VU meters on this turn off and don't turn back on).

After this, the monitor, even if plugged back in, will turn on to display the LG symbol thing, but then turn itself off completely until the computer is rebooted. It's not entirely replicable as sometimes the monitor will work afterwards, however I'm worried that this is an early sign my monitor may be going the same way as the last one and it's something to do with my power setup.

I have a Sub, and 2 Speakers, my PC and Monitor plugged into a surge protected extension. Unfortunately there's only one convenient wall outlet, but I'd think it should be able to power all of these simultaneously. (The old monitor problem also occurred in my university housing).

I'm pretty sure this must have something to do with the power, though I'm not entirely sure why my monitor disconnecting temporarily would turn off my USB sound interface, and I am stumped by why you can't turn it back on afterwards (as with my previous monitor at startup).

A pretty long, and strange problem I think, though maybe there's some simple solution I just haven't found online, and I appreciate any helpful input!

Cheers, Chris

Call an electrician and have him check the wiring/sockets in your wall.

The problem (with the original monitor at least), occurred both at my family home, and at my university halls.

So I don't think it's any problem with the wiring in the house.

Did it start at your house? If it did, it could have caused the first monitor to start going bad.

Try a different set of outlets (on a different circuit in the house would be best).

I think it first started at university, though it was quite long ago I'm not 100% certain, I think I remember thinking it was something to do with the uni halls having crappy power and assuming it would be fine at home, and then it wasn't.

I'll try off a different outlet, there's one in the far corner of the room I can probably get to with some extension cables.

Does it seem feasible that my monitor power disconnecting could turn off a USB peripheral plugged into my Computer though? No power is sent from the Speakers the monitor is plugged into, they are powered off the mains extension that the PC/Monitor are on, and the USB interface is powered by the USB.

The whole monitor not turning back on has me stumped, I have no idea why it should do that? It's not as if the monitor just isn't receiving signal from the graphics card, the light goes off completely and it won't turn back on.

That is usually a sign that an internal breaker in the PSU of the device has tripped because it detected a short somewhere on either side of the power source. Hence the reason I suggested to have an electrician check your wall outlets.

I see.

I'll get someone in then, definitely better safe than sorry, and it must be some issue with the power chain. But would this explain the strange startup behaviour of my computer before hand, at both home and university. Where monitor would turn on during startup and the BIOS, then permanently turn off when windows booted?

Hm, I read somewhere that someone having a similar problem was having to start in safe mode and reinstall the gpu drivers every time they started their computer.

I never tried this, but I definitely have up to date drivers and firmware for my gpu. And It did it both with my old gpu, and a newer one i got a couple months ago.

Back
Top Bottom