Strange Power Issue... PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
Well, hello everyone. I'm back in hopes that the great people here will be able to shoot me some advice! =D

Let me start by giving out the systems specs -

Motherboard: Asus P5P800 (Socket 775)
CPU: P4@3.40Ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR SDRAM 400Mhz
Video: Diablotek ATI Rage XL Video Card - 8MB SDRAM on PCI
+1 IDE Hardrive @ 160GB
+1 Internal Floppy
+1 Sata DVD Rom Drive

----

Ok so it all started when I had trouble installing XP on it. It kept freezing at about 30% on the graphical part of the installation. The computer shut down normally and then never turnt back on. I tried pressing the power button a few times and noticed nothing. I said "Hmmm... I wonder if it's the 240Watt PSU." So I went and grabbed another PSU (This one 230) I had lying around the house... Plugged it all in and bam! The green light on the motherboard was back and and I was ready to rumble again... Then I pressed the power switch and still... the CPU fans... the case fans would not power on. The green light was on. I said "Hmm.. Maybe I need a bigger PSU." So I put in a 700 PSU... and still the same thing. Green light on mobo but it would not start. I went through a process of elimination. I tried taking all things out and attempting to start the computer 1 component at a time. That failed aswell. I check the Power Led switches... All was according to the manual. I never tampered with any jumpers and I even put in a fresh cmos battery for the **** of it. At This point I'm clue less and I'm thinking the motherboard is damaged somehow. There couldn't have been a short because it's lifted off the case with golden pins. Is there anyway to possibly attempt to fix this? Let me know! and thank you for you time! =D

99% likely it's the motherboard. If you've tried that many PSUs one of them would have booted the machine fine by now.

Well, hello everyone. I'm back in hopes that the great people here will be able to shoot me some advice! =D

Let me start by giving out the systems specs -

Motherboard: Asus P5P800 (Socket 775)
CPU: P4@3.40Ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR SDRAM 400Mhz
Video: Diablotek ATI Rage XL Video Card - 8MB SDRAM on PCI
+1 IDE Hardrive @ 160GB
+1 Internal Floppy
+1 Sata DVD Rom Drive

----

Ok so it all started when I had trouble installing XP on it. It kept freezing at about 30% on the graphical part of the installation. The computer shut down normally and then never turnt back on. I tried pressing the power button a few times and noticed nothing. I said "Hmmm... I wonder if it's the 240Watt PSU." So I went and grabbed another PSU (This one 230) I had lying around the house... Plugged it all in and bam! The green light on the motherboard was back and and I was ready to rumble again... Then I pressed the power switch and still... the CPU fans... the case fans would not power on. The green light was on. I said "Hmm.. Maybe I need a bigger PSU." So I put in a 700 PSU... and still the same thing. Green light on mobo but it would not start. I went through a process of elimination. I tried taking all things out and attempting to start the computer 1 component at a time. That failed aswell. I check the Power Led switches... All was according to the manual. I never tampered with any jumpers and I even put in a fresh cmos battery for the **** of it. At This point I'm clue less and I'm thinking the motherboard is damaged somehow. There couldn't have been a short because it's lifted off the case with golden pins. Is there anyway to possibly attempt to fix this? Let me know! and thank you for you time! =D

Probably way off here, but I think it is a RAM issue, bad RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom