Strange Power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbain66

Solid State Member
For the last few days my Pc would not start up. i figured it was a PSU or motherboard issue. i opend it up, attempted to start it with another powers supply, it didnt work. i then started another Pc with my PSU and it started up. i then took all my components out of the pc , checked the CPU, reinstaled all hardware correctly. I tried a jumper on the power switch conectors, didnt start. Light on motherboard is on when there is power, but i did notice, that after i unplug it, there is a small power surge, turning the fans for a second. this happens about 10 seconds after the power is disconected. I figured out, that if i use the switch on my power supply, turn it on for a few minutes, then turn it off, and when the fans turn, i switch it back on, and it will start!! But nothing happens when i use the power button in the front of my case.
Not everytime, but i can start it up this way. any ideas what the heck my problem is?

i got messed up with what you were saying, it was kinda confusing... ANYWHO<><>

so a few questions about your issue:

1. You can't turn your computer on normally by just hitting the power switch?

2. You tested all the components and their's nothing wrong?

3. Does the "surge" happen when you unplug the cord from the psu? or the 20/24 pin connector on the mobo?

and in summarization, just let me know if this is correct,
you turn on the comp, nothing happens, and you turn it off (using the psu on/off switch) and then aprox 10 seconds later it will "buzz" and the things will go for a second, then stop. But if you turn it back on using the psu switch while the surge is happening, the computer will sometimes turn on.

I don't have an answer for you right now, but it seems like there's an issue between the psu and the mobo. So what I would suggest is try taking another psu and try to start up the computer that won't like to start. If it starts then you have quite the funny issue, and you should just stay with what works. If it doesn't start, then there's an issue with the mobo and I would suggest a replacement mobo if you can afford it.

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

What is this small power surge you see when you disconnect your motherboard? As in the 20/24 pin motherboard power connector, 4/8 pin CPU power connector? If you tried to connect the PSU on this computer and it didn't work, while it worked on another computer, then there isn't a problem with your PSU.

Ok, sorry about the confusion. here goes,.....
- i cannot start the pc with the button on the front of the case.
-I tried to start the pc with another psu, but it did not work.
-The psu is connected with a 24 pin conector, but i disconect the power by unpluging the pwoer cord in the back of the psu.
-i noticed when i unplug it, there is a 'power surge', after about 10 seconds.
-by power surge i just mean that the fans turn for mabye a second, no sound at all.
-I then realized that by switching the switch on the psu, i get the same effect. (while the power cord is connected to the psu of course)
-Then what i do is, switch it off by the switch on the psu, and wait for the fans to turn. and when they do, i switch that same switch on, and it will somtimes start.
-I had everything out of the case, and replaced it all making sure everything was seated correctly. it is now running(by the method i am trying to discribe), but i am afraid to shut it off and not get it started again.
-Oh, and i did try a jumper on the pins that the case power button is attached to, to rule out a bad switch, and it did not start.
-It realy is very confusing, i hope i cleard some stuff up, and not made the story worse!!
thanx

By the way, i built this myself, and these are the stats:
Asus A8v-E SE mother board
athlon 3800 duel core prossesor
ATI All in wonder X1300 video card
1 G Ram
Antec True Power 2.0 550w PSU

By the way, i built this myself, and these are some stats:
Asus A8v-E SE mother board
athlon 3800 duel core prossesor
ATI All in wonder X1300 video card
1 G Ram