Strange memory issues. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Question Strange memory issues.

This computer keeps locking up... no bluescreens or anything, just freezes, even when running from a diagnostic CD, Quicktech, memtest, etc... it will run for a little bit, then freeze, never generating any errors in the process.

I can boot into windows, -sometimes-, and running Orthos, it will go for a few seconds, then stop with a floating point arithmetic error (expecting .5, returned .4).

I thought at first it was the ALU, so I swapped out the processor for another of the same socket type I had on hand, but the problem persisted.

The system has 2x2GB Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/4G memory sticks. Removing one stick caused the issues to stop, and it will pass memtest or run orthos until the cows come home... switching it out for the other one yields the same result. I also tried putting one stick or the other into the second memory slot and putting an extra generic 2GB PC25300 stick in the first slot, and still no issues... so it's not the slot, and it's not either stick of memory, but when you combine the two together, it locks up constantly.

Any idea what might be causing this, or how to address the issue?

Q6600 Kentsfield (2.4GHz)
ECS NF650iSLIT-A mobo
2x2GB Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/4G (DDR2 800)

\"I\'ll do it cheap, I\'ll do it fast, or I\'ll do it well. You can only choose two.\"
Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Default Re: Strange memory issues.

I would RMA your memory if it's under warranty. It could be the RAM running together causing an issue. I had a similar problem with a set of Kingston memory. Personally I'd rather use Corsair, Geil, Crucial, or OCz. If that doesn't work then its the systemboard. It's just easier to RMA the ram first just to make sure. Good luck!

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

as it turns out, that particular mainboard has a problem with running memory in dual-channel, which is actually rather ironic considering they had "DUAL CHANNEL DDR" stamped in huge lettering right in the middle of the circuitboard as if it was its one bright and shining feature.
\"I\'ll do it cheap, I\'ll do it fast, or I\'ll do it well. You can only choose two.\"
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via MSN to ~Tofu~

I have encountered a similar problem
i had 2 ram ddr400 and i decided to put it in. then i didn't touch the computer for a while. After like 3 weeks i turned it on and the computer would not last for 30min. i thought it was something to do with the computer so i got it in a computer shop who repaired it.
They said that the 2 Ram were not compatible-it sometimes happens but not often-and therefore removing on of the ram would fix the problem. You cannot do anything about this. so if you really want to have 2 sticks of ram buy it at the same time, the chances are that they are made without a big difference that causes the problem
Closed Thread