Strange Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
For the last few months my computer has been out of the case. So to say just layed out on the table. I got tired of swapping MBs into the case so i just left it. Anyway I put it all back in the cast today, same as it was. Nothing about the setup changed except the 3 large case fans. Well now when I load up windows its lagging when i do anything. easiest way to describe it is when i right click on the desktop the drop down that is supposed to appear comes in VERY slowly. and if i try to move the cursor around it lags really bad. you know it jumps around randomly. I can not for the life of my figure it out. I thought maybe because of the case fans it was a power drain so i disconnected my extra hard drives and the fans. Nothing form that. then i swapped the ram around, nothing. I increased the CPU voltage, nothing. I checked all the connections and dont know what else could cause this. Any advice is grately appreciated. Thank You

Joe

I don't quite understand what you mean by you "left your computer out of the case". I'm assuming you left the motherboard lie around and you put it back in?
Have you swapped out the motherboard with a different one under the same installation of Windows XP?
First of all, go into your Device Manager (hold the Windows logo key on the keyboard and press the "break" key on the keyboard, click on hardware, then Device Manager), and double check to see if their are any missing drivers or corrupt drivers, (it will be indicated with an exclamation mark or question mark next to the specific piece of hardware).
If so, download the appropriate drivers from the manufacturers website.
I'm not quite understanding the whole case situation here, so please post with more details.

Sounds like he was running his compoter without a case for a while. I do this while testing stuff.

Its just like Splatoid said. I was just running the computer out of the case. I was doing alot of MB swapping and testing different things a while back and when i found the right combination i wanted i just didnt feel like putting it all back in the case right away. So i have been running it like this for like 6 months. Then the other day i had to move to a new place so i put it back into the case. And now i am having this lag problem.
Anyway so i checked the drivers and everything is in order with that. I am going to start reinstalling all the hardware piece by piece and see what happens, but i just cant see why any of that would create this problem out of nowhere. There has to be some strange coincidence here that im missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom