Strange issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Strange issue

Such as here as I type something I go back to the original start with a blank start. Or with explorer (very common issue, 99.9% of the time) when I cut/copy paste I have to manually refresh the page in explorer to get the changes to show in explorer and if I recut/copy paste explorer crashes.

I have ran virtually every AV and scan for malware, but nothing shows.

I was told that it could be a sticky keys issue so I disabled them (or set the activation to an absurd level of activation)... Even tried a different KB just incase.

The refresh issue is new to me and I do not know what is causing it, as I have tried all the google search options "fixes" with no resolving the issue.

I think it is most likely a corruption issue or a malware issue that is the culprit, but short of a fresh restore (with arconis, or a wipe) I am at a loss.

I want to avoid a fresh install/restore unless an absolute necessity. At this time the issues are slightly annoying, not a major crisis.

Shadowxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

Default Re: Strange issue

Could try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt...see if it fixes any key files or something.

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevrag35 View Post
Could try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt...see if it fixes any key files or something.

LOL, forgot that command and after working in tech support for 5 years you would imagine it was easily remembered...

Running now only 70% complete will update once finished.

"windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

After posting bout this issue on another site some one suggested that I try creating a new profile and see if anything changed.

Well unexpectedly the new profile works fine. I have basically exhausted every method known to me (AV scans, safe mode, reset folder options etc etc etc). As I stated before I worked in tech support for years so I am not a noob, but this issue is quite puzzling.

As if it were a PC issue it should affect the new profile the same way, but apparently it is something within this user profile causing it.

I tried a google search and many fixes listed but to no avail.

Needless to say I am at a loss.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

If a new profile works fine, then I'd point to a corrupt profile. Copy the old profile data (documents and such) over to the new profile, and then delete the old profile.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok so tried a few things I had not found before. Now safe mode does work, new profiles show same results. And now a huge annoyance is firefox showing past history, even if I turn that off.

Guess it is some bug somehwere in my OS. I can try a new profile with identical issues.

TY for advice but at this time it appears to be a larger issue.

TBH the previous issue was an annoyance, but at this point it is beyond annoying.

After the so called "fixes" it is even worse. it worked for a bit but now I am having worse issues. It is nothing short of an OS issue. Such as this underlining. I am not doing itor trying to change pages but it is happening as I type (and it disappeared) . This is beyond annoying and if this continues screw it (just as the typing changed here, I will wipe.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Tried another program (malwarebytes) and it found and removed quite a few malware from my system that other programs did not even recognize. Which fixed most of my issues except for the slightly annoying "need to refresh" thing. I can live with that as it is just a minor issue.

I do have another question and this is rare to happen type. Every now and then I get a popup saying that the memory is full and I need to close a program (firefox 99% of the time).

I have a logitech g510 keyboard (one with the lcd display) and customized an
applet for it. Had a few programs open normally mem shows 30-40% when I took the screenshot.

When this issue happens my memory is only showing up to 60% usage (which should not trigger it), and have set my pagefile to span multiple drives as to see if that would fix it (it's currently about 24 gigs across 3 drives).

As rare as it happens it just may be a glitch in windows or even firefox, but sucks when you are in the middle of streaming a show and about 1/2 way into it and poof .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrlgScr0001.jpg (17.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you could still have something malicious running on your pc. Try an on line scan of your hard drive with Eset's on line scanner. Don't forget to disable your existing antivirus when you do this
Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well ESET did find 2 things but they were old programs from years back that I did not have uninstalled (really need to set down and go through my HD and delete junk that I will never use again lol)..

But thanks to a new tool.

The memory thing is one of those random things, it may happen once in 3 months or may not. Just happened right before posting about it.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowxsx View Post
Well ESET did find 2 things but they were old programs from years back that I did not have uninstalled (really need to set down and go through my HD and delete junk that I will never use again lol)..

But thanks to a new tool.

The memory thing is one of those random things, it may happen once in 3 months or may not. Just happened right before posting about it.
Should have been installed, not uninstalled