A strange issue. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default A strange issue.

Alright, so i'm pretty much a noob to the custom build scene. I've only built 3 compy's and all have been intel's. One of my current builds is experiencing a problem and i was wondering if you guys could help me pinpoint it.

Specs:

NVidia GeForce GTS 250 1024MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz
4 OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 - Motherboard
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply

So i started playing Perfect World (online MMO) with this build and after about 2 -3 hours it restarts. No blue screen. No warning. Just restart. At first i thought it was just The Game but the other day i was watching youtube video's and after about 2 hours it happened again.

Do you think this is a Ram issue? PSU issue? Video card? I have noticed that the ram temps usually stay at about 55 on the heat gauge that vista shows. Is that reliable? Should i use more Ram (like 8 instead of 4 gigs)? Is it a motherboard compatability issue? And if it is, how would i know?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: A strange issue.

Just looking at your components I would say the problem is probably your Ultra Power Supply. Ultra is probably the worst of the worst.

But you should also look at your cpu and system temps.
HWMonitor

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ive been getting this sort of problem, do you get an error message when your system loads back up saying that it had to restart due to a bluescreen?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Just looking at your components I would say the problem is probably your Ultra Power Supply. Ultra is probably the worst of the worst.

But you should also look at your cpu and system temps
Ultra worst of worst. Ok. I was curious as to whether or not the PSU was the problem or not. I'll try putting in a Corsair or OCZ and see how that works. I try to keep my eye on the temps of the CPU and Mem with the sidebar in vista. Is that not reliable?

Quote:
ive been getting this sort of problem, do you get an error message when your system loads back up saying that it had to restart due to a bluescreen?
Nope. I get nothing when it returns to windows. Not even a "windows has recovered from a serious error" Message.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

what os do you have?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qblake View Post
what os do you have?
Using Windows Vista Ultimate
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My gaming laptop did this due to a video rendering bug with the NVidia drivers. You should test and see if it's just during graphical-heavy situations or if that matters at all. Try running some kind of GPU benchmarker, then do it with a CPU benchmarker, etc... the one it fails on is usually the problem, though not always. If it's your vid card, send me a PM and I'll see if what I did works for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Are you using the RC, or the Final Release?

Closed Thread