Startup Probloms - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Startup Probloms

Hello,

hope I'm posting this on the right section of the forums.

Anyway a little while ago i was having problems with my computer, it was acting kinda buggy. So i decided to reformat/install xp

Everything seemed to be going fine while windows was installing. If i remember right it asked me to restart my computer at some point near the end of the installation.

Thats when my problem begin. I couldn't get a monitor signal, it would just look like the computer was on stand by. I rechecked all my cables, made sure the monitor was working by hooking it up into another pc everything checked out.

My next best guess was that the video card had just died. Well i installed a new one and the same problem - no signal -

everything else seems to be working fine all lights, fans and hard drive seem to be working. It doesn't' beep at all on start up. Just the whole no signal thing. My next guess is that its the mother board or the video port itself but nothing seems to be damaged at all.

lol anyway thats my long winded problem. I'm really hoping you guys can think of something that I've missed cause frankly I'm out of ideas......

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas you can come up with.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Startup Probloms

sounds like your default display is on the onboard. Try either plugging the monitor into your onboard graphics, or resetting the bios.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
sounds like your default display is on the onboard. Try either plugging the monitor into your onboard graphics, or resetting the bios.
I agree, reset your bios or plug the monitor into the onboard video (if you have one). Your system doesn't know how to communicate with your video card, so it can't display anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid_WinZ Send a message via MSN to Hybrid_WinZ

Try pluggin in another monitor....
If not im out of ideas also. Oh yeah reseting the bios
might work also
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the quick response's

How would i go about restarting my bios?
I've tried plunging it into a different monitor still a no go.
I believe the mother board has a on board video card i just haven't hooked up a monitor to it cause the port for it is really old I'll try to find a adapter for it today,
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

To reset the BIOS you need to remove the CMOS battery. It is the thing that looks like a watch battery. Also check the fine writing on the mobo to see if there is also a jumper setting that has to be adjusted. If not just removing the battery for a period of 30 seconds should reset the BIOS to factory settings.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

You shouldn't have to take the entire battery out. That will work, but you chance damaging the system by taking it out improperly.

I would first use the jumper to reset the system (keep the circut in a closed position for 30 seconds then put it back in its original spot).

Either way will work, just didn't want you pulling stuff out of your system if you weren't comfortable with it.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

^ taking out the cmos battery is fine, so long as you disconnect the power to your pc first, and try and boot your computer to drain the remaining charge.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

I agree with Soul. As i have done this many times. Not every system has a jumper to connect that will clear the CMOS so a battery removal is the only option. My system does not have a jumper to use so I have to use teh battery method. It works just fine. Just be careful how you remove it. Dont stick a flat head screw driver in there and ram at it like it was a $1,000 bill stcuk in a block of concrete and you will be fine.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread