Startup problems, Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

uber

Baseband Member
How do I wipe a Western Digital hard drive from the out side?

I deleted sp2 and the computer wont boot up without a blue screen, it doesnt read the sp disk, and when it does it says PCI.SYS corrupted.

you need to be more clear....what do you mean "from the outside"?

Like, is there a button I can press.... or do i have to send it in? I can't acess it because the formatting always closes itself when I try because pci.sys is corupted.

are you trying to format from DOS using the format C: command? and using fdisk? and...no there is no button

When I start up my computer, it goes through post, bios, then it loads windows. right after that it crashes with a bluescreen with something like c0021a on it or somtin like that. I tried all the safe modes, they didnt work.

so you are wanting to format your hard drive...the western digital...is it the boot drive or the slave...which partition are you having trouble with and want to format?

Its the slave I think, the non working cdrom drive is the master. I dont know how to change that setting or what it would do. I tried changing the hard drive jumper, for some reason its glued in place.

okay...do you know it's drive letter.......

and am i getting this strait..and all u need to do is format the drive...?

The drive is c.

Yes. It just won't read the XP disk when I put it in, and when it does read it, its loading up and it says PCI.SYS is corrupted, then it reboots itself, and refuses to read the disk again.

okay...so to format the drive..you'll need a boot disk ...insert the boot disk into the floppy drive and it should boot up and go to a DOS prompt....then in the DOS prompt type Format C: then hit Y for yes and it should format....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom