Startup problem

Trotsky

Solid State Member
Hi

My PC is being awkward in the morning. It won't POST until it's been powered up for a minute or two - I have to switch it on, wait and then press reset to get it to boot up. After that it can be on all day with no problems, but whenever it's off for a while it refuses to boot until it's "warmed up".

Spec:
ASUS M4A77TD-PRO motherboard.
Phenom II x4 945 CPU
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 RAM
Sapphire 6870HD gfx card
OCZ ModXstream 700W PSU
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Seagate 500GB HDD

I've gone through all the usual troubleshooting procedures. I'm thinking it could be a motherboard problem as all the components work fine individually - maybe faulty capacitor or soldering somewhere? Any tips or info would be greatly appreaciated.

Some motherboards have issues starting up from a cold boot.
Make sure the room temp isnt too low or it'll take awhile for it to boot up.
Be sure to keep the inside of your computer dust free, that maybe a factor also to why it is slow coming on. ;)

For anyone who is interested:-

After much swearing and searching forums I came across a post about insufficient thermal paste between heat sink and CPU causing similar problems for someone else, and being the only thing I hadn't checked, I decided to re-paste my cpu. Turns out that the paste I originally used (stuff that came with the heat sink) was crap and had gone solid. After re-pasting my computer started up this morning from cold for the first time in 6 or 7 months.

:D

For anyone who is interested:-

After much swearing and searching forums I came across a post about insufficient thermal paste between heat sink and CPU causing similar problems for someone else, and being the only thing I hadn't checked, I decided to re-paste my cpu. Turns out that the paste I originally used (stuff that came with the heat sink) was crap and had gone solid. After re-pasting my computer started up this morning from cold for the first time in 6 or 7 months.

:D

I'm happy for you, be sure to get into the habit of reapplying the grease every 5 to 6 months.
I would do it this way, because the cpu does work hard and eventually wear out any grease over a long month of time.

Have fun with your cpu.

Back
Top Bottom