startup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

acelightningz7

Baseband Member
My friend is building a computer and he's having trouble starting it up. When I checked it for him, everything was all correct; cables were connected tightly, screws, jumpers, etc. So when it starts up, nothing happens. In fact, the reset switch does not work at all, even though it's in the right spot. It can't be turned off by holding down the power switch either. The only way to turn it off was to use the switch on the power supply. The DVD drives are on load; the light will not go off. I tried clearing the motherboard memory, etc. and that did nohing. Anyways, I thought it was the motherboard itself since he forgot to level the motherboard with hexagon screws the first time, so he RMAed it. But when it came back, and he installed it, same thing happened. Now I'm starting to think it might be the processor or the power supply. Any ideas? :)

Just for kicks, try another video card if you have a spare one. It eliminates one potential issue. Also if you have a few sticks of ram try taking them out and putting only 1 in at a time.

ACE...
Check the P/S voltages with the video card IN then OUT.
Check the video cable/connects for bent or broken pins. Sometimes these connectors are cheaply made.
Disconnect Hdd, CD/Rom/DVD drives.
Verify the Cpu/Chipset fans are running.
You should be able to POST with just the Mobo, Ram, Video.
Re-check the wiring on the Power Sw. and Reset Sw.

Take your time...... don't rush it.

ya, i spent about 3 hours on this part for him. we switched video cards and it was the same result. we used another computer to test the monitor, and it works fine. i've tried disconnecting everything that is not needed to POST. i rewired the power/reset switch quite a bit too. None of the pins were broken either. the only thing i'm curious about is the power circulation in the computer. Thanks for the input JKnPA ^_^. I guess I should state everything that i'd tried. sorry!

Ace....
The P/S voltages are very important.
What is the make and power rating of the P/S???
As you can see...... we all have problems of some sort.
I've been working on a BIOS problem for 3weeks now;
bought new Ram board, flashed Cmos chip, installed new Cmos/bios chip....... still can't get into BIOS, but I can still boot with the "F2-key". ........ I guess I need a new Mobo...., I have a spare P/S, but of course that's not the problem..... FWIW.

Let us know when you fix it!

p/s....i think it's an aspire with 520w. that's all i know :p. come to think of it, i never asked him if he switched his voltage. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom