Startup issue after storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Strain

Solid State Member
I have a pc I built about 6 months ago and it's been running great from day one.. until now. Had a storm blow through a few days ago and the power flashed, just long enough to shut off the computer. After the storm passed and I went to turn the pc back on, I'm getting a no boot device found error. This has happened before after a storm but rebooting once or twice always cleared it up. No such luck this time. The bios reads the dvd drive, and the external drives but not the internal.

I've tried every combination of trying different sata slot on the mobo, different cables, clearing the cmos, and everything else I can think of. I stuck the drive in one of my other desktops (not as a boot drive) and it read it fine and I could access the files so i know the drive isn't dead.

Any ideas as to the cause and how I can fix it?
The mobo is an ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3+ Motherboard. The drive is a couple years old and is a WD caviar blue 640gig drive.
EDIT: Using vista home premium
Thanks in advance guys.

take the power cord off and wait for 10 seconds. Than take the CMOS battery off and wait 10 seconds and put it back in and offcourse the power cord :)
Hopefully it should word. If it does not than plug out all the usb devices connected to it like keyboard and mouse and try booting it without any usb device attached.

other option i can think of is when you power on the computer hit F12 to enter the boot menu and select the hard drive if it shows. Most likly it is f12 to enter the boot menu.

I've tried those and it didn't change anything. It's acting as if there's no HD there, I even switched the dvd and hd cables since it reads the dvd fine and it still doesn't see it. Since I know the drive is still good.. it has me rather stumped.

You mean the SATA cables? Did you try a new SATA power cord in it? Might be strange, but it just might work.

Also, are you able to internally connect it to another PC and read off it?

You mean the SATA cables? Did you try a new SATA power cord in it? Might be strange, but it just might work.

Also, are you able to internally connect it to another PC and read off it?

Yes I swapped both the sata cords (data and power) off the dvd drive since it's working fine, and yes the hd reads fine in my other computers. This one just refuses to admit it's there >_<

Well after work I went through and tried everything again and I'm still stumped. The only thing I haven't tried is sticking an empty drive in it to see if it would detect that.. simply because I don't have a spare drive at the moment. Is there anything that would/could cause a drive to not be see during boot but still be visible once windows is running?

Since I can stick the drive in another desktop and can see and access it there, I know the drive isn't (completely) bad. The computer having the issues can detect the dvd drive across all the sata ports and through both sets of cables I have.. so I don't think the problem is on that end. I even threw my windows disk in to see if it might detect the drive (some how) and it couldn't. I tried loading in the motherboards sata drivers and it didn't make a difference.

I'm really at a loss here. I can make do with my laptop for the moment, but in order to get back to various projects I have, I have to get this thing running again.

Well after work I went through and tried everything again and I'm still stumped. The only thing I haven't tried is sticking an empty drive in it to see if it would detect that.. simply because I don't have a spare drive at the moment. Is there anything that would/could cause a drive to not be see during boot but still be visible once windows is running?
I'm really at a loss here. I can make do with my laptop for the moment, but in order to get back to various projects I have, I have to get this thing running again.

Can you please confirm somethings here, please test your sata ports and find out which ones still work.
Since you had your system on during a storm, something may have gotten damaged or ruined. :|
You might have one option left and that is to use sata to ide converter with your pc if you have a ide slot available.

If all else fails, your looking at getting a new motherboard, asrock won't help out in this situation.
They will fault you on user end damages once they hear the story or see signs of damages on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom