It started with a blank screen. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default It started with a blank screen.

I was browsing the internet about a week ago when my monitor went blank and gave me the 'No signal detected'. I could still here everything working even though I couldn't see it so I played around with my monitor connections to no avail. I let my computer sit with the monitor unplugged for a while and plugged it back in, still no image. I attempted to alt+f4 out of my browser and power down the computer but that didn't work either, so I pulled the plug (the power supply button didn't work). The next day I tried it and it started up fine, but later that night it did the same thing. Long story short I can't get anything to work properly now.

When I power up I hear the proper noises but they quickly die down. Also when I power down my computer a simple press of the button does it (usually hold it down for a few seconds). I opened up my computer and the only problem I found was the fan on my graphics card was destroyed. I'm not knowledgeable on the cards but it looked like the fan was wired into the card (though it had it's own power plug that went to the card). I'm thinking this is my problem but I don't want to go out and get a brand new one without trying anything else.

A side not I guess I should throw in, when I first bought it I was having a bit of trouble because Vista wasn't compatible with the graphics card and I wound up with the blue screen of death a few times. I feel like I've been blaming the OS for everything because it's been giving me so many problems. I do everything I can to keep it clean and update my drivers and everything else. Anyway below is what my computer was made out of.

Sadly I don't have the money to pay for tech support and all I hear on their phone tech support is do a factory restore... anyway thank you for your time.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: It started with a blank screen.

Your board should have onboard graphics on it. Try removing your graphics card and hooking up to the onboard VGA connector. It might require you turning them on in BIOS... I really don't remember.

Since the computer powers down with just hitting the power switch, it is not booting into Windows.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread