Start up issues - Newly Built

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris777

Solid State Member
If anyone thinks it's relevant I can rattle off my specs. But for the gist of my problem I don't think it's needed.

I power on, and get the MSI screen and can go into BIOS. I've used both internal and external cdrom drives. BIOS recognizes the drive, I select it to be my first boot device. But when it starts to boot with it, I just get a black screen and a blinking cursor. I've tried several different boot CDs. I verified that my XP CD boots up correctly on my laptop.

Anyone got any ideas to try? I'm all ears.

Try disconnecting your hard drive. Just to test. Sometimes the HDD wants to override everything. I get that in my older system.

Unplug your HDD cable, start it up with a CD, see if it boots, if so, shut down, put HDD back in, reset boot order and try booting from the CD again.

Try disconnecting your hard drive. Just to test. Sometimes the HDD wants to override everything. I get that in my older system.

Unplug your HDD cable, start it up with a CD, see if it boots, if so, shut down, put HDD back in, reset boot order and try booting from the CD again.

Good Idea. Because when I first tried to boot I got the blank cursor, before I put the boot disk in. Hope that's it! brb!

Have a few HDs, unplugged all of them and only device in BIOS is the external cdrom. No luck. Still just a blinking cursor. My keyboard no longer works when I get that cursor. Can't hit numlock etc, or ctl-alt-del.

Try plugging the sata cable into a different sata port.

I've tried internal and external. And the external is USB. Tried different USB ports. The internal drive does the exact same thing. And I verified that the cd I'm using worked on my laptop. =/ Also just tried to boot it with out any CD in the drive. Same blinking cursor, so it never even tries to boot.

Try resetting BIOS.

Flashing the bios? I could possibly download a bootable BIOS flash for it and see if that works? Or do you mean resetting to default..like load fail safe defaults(which i tried)?

MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

On Chip IDE Controller: Enabled/Disable -default enabled
PCI IDE BusMaster: Enabled/Disable -default enabled
On Chip SATA Controller: Enabled/Disable -default enabled
RAID Mode: IDE/ATHI/RAID -default IDE

I tried a few different settings in here, but nothing working. Any ideas?

By reset BIOS, I meant power down, take the watch battery off the board, wait a few minutes, put it back in and start it up. Everything will be default, and it can fix a lot of more things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom