Stalling...boot loop?

Cbrowsey

Solid State Member
Okay so everything in this is brand spanking new. It's been up and running fine except for stupid issues with windows updates maybe 5 or 6 boot cycles with an operating time of maybe 10 hours.

Last night I shut down windows it configured an update then shut everything down. Went to bed got up and failure.

I hit the power button front case fan's built in led lights up briefly fan spins briefly and stops. optical drive status light flickers skips the drive with an audible skid then goes silent. CPU fan twitches and stops. Mobo's speaker remains silent. Rinse and repeat without my touching anything all over maybe 2 seconds if. I have to hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds to get it to stop.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, removing everything but bare minimum to no avail. Verified outlet and tried others verified all connections, removed reset switch. Out of ideas. Would love some advice.

Ok so ive noticed the case fan and the 2 fans on the graphics cards all spool up fine and spin for couple seconds while the cpu fan just twitches... could be likely that the fan motor over the cpu is blown? Is therr a way to check or fix without reseating? I hate dealing with the thermal paste :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool and quiet or auto CPU fan control would cause it to twitch. They only come on when the CPU gets warm (30c ect) unless forced to 100% or plugged in via a molex direct to power.

The only thing I can recommend is reseating the heatsink and try taking the motherboard out of the case while placing it on a piece of cardboard on a steady surface. Leave everything unplugged except for the essentials to boot.
As to thermal paste, it's real easy. Use a coffee filter, napkin, or some good TP to wipe off the paste from the CPU and heatsink. Then with some Q-tips and 91% rubbing alcohol clean the surface of the heatsink and the CPU. This is important: Put a grain of rice sized amount of TIM in the center of the CPU IHS then install your heatsink. Make sure it is making solid contact. Now try to see if the PC posts or boots.

So just put the paste in the center? Dont spread evenly?

Ill give it a try tonight thanks! I was afraid i had gotten a faulty psu or mobo you dont think the symptons could be either?

Could be, but if it was bad you would be having issues during a full PC load or it just wouldn't work at all.

Yes, grain of rice sized in the center. No more or less.

Ok so tried reseating have mono on cardboard bare minimum and its doing the same thing....

Not a compatable psu sadly all older with only a 4 prong cpu power cable... thinking about going and buying a new mobo yo try since when i first put it together trying to pull off one of the back case expansion port things i think it may have knocked a chip off but didnt think it was going to be a problem as the thing worked fine for 2 days.

Really? Interesting. Ill give it a try before running out and spending the money... hope its not the psu though actually i really like the design of it and if i have to replace it will be something from a tiger direct stores retail stock as i dont feel like waiting to rma anything over the internet

Back
Top Bottom