SSD on Windows Vista

guppyman

Solid State Member
Hi,

I will like to ask ... will SSD perform well on Vista?.

I have one installed... however, i have heard that Vista is not designed for use with SSD. Is it true?

Thanks in advance

Vista doesn't natively support SSD's, but my cousin has upgraded his old computer with Vista to a SSD and it made it much faster.

The issue is that OSes prior to Win 7 did not provide the TRIM command which is needed to provide garbage collection and other functions needed to keep an ssd humming well. An ssd will certainly work fine with Vista at first but performance will gradually diminish due to the lack of TRIM.

There may be manufacturers that provide a TRIM utility for their ssds that can be run manually on OSes that don't have the support built-in. I believe Corsair and Samsung provide software for their ssds that provide TRIM for older OSes.

Last edited:
Most SSD controllers now no longer care whether the OS manages TRIM or not, as they'll do it automatically on their own.

Garbage collection is done from the controller, but TRIM comes from the OS. If the OP has a decent branded SSD with good software he can do TRIM from the software. Corsair and I believe Samsung can also allow a scheduled TRIM command be sent.

Samsung drives have software called Samsung Magician, which allows you to run a Trim command any time the drive is not active
qS0JHPN.jpg

Wow... thanks for all the replies.

However, i am still quite lost... due to differing opinions.

Anyway.. thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom