SSD Hadrdrives not detected after Windows Update - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
This is sparta!
Default SSD Hadrdrives not detected after Windows Update

My OCZ Vertex 4 512gb just failed for some reason after an update in Windows 7. I had recently downgraded from Windows 10. Overnight, the update was running and the next morning it was a completely black screen. The OCZ vertex drive is detected but unbootable. I tried reinstalling Windows 7 by popping in the CD and no luck. I'm now requesting an RMA.

So I'm currently booting using my 640 gb Black Caviar using Windows 8.1. I have two other Western Digital 3TB for storage and another 2 tb Caviar Black harddrive. I unplugged the 2TB caviar as I didn't want to completely lose that drive and to be safe. Regardless, all drives are important to me.

I plugged in the two 3TB, and started windows. They weren't detected. The 640gb Black Caviar is my boot disk. I checked three hours later, without restarting the computer, one of the 3TB WD is now working and detected and navigable.

Still, the problem remains: One of my Western Digital 3TB is not working and I have some important stuff on it. It was just working the day before, after the OCZ failed.

Can someone tell me what's going on? I want to be able to not break any harddrives. What's causing these drives to fail?

Virus perhaps? Or just bad luck? There seems to be a trigger of something.

I did recently install Norton Security Suite. I also switched my computers location to be hardwired to my router and internet. Other than that, no other physical changes. Completely problemless for a few months after upgrading to Windows 10. I downgraded because it didn't support Crossfire for my HD radeon 4850s. But this Holiday Season is going crazy with this unfortunate event.
Windows 7 Pro
i7 920 | 6gb | 4850 CF
akasixcon is offline   Reply With Quote