SSD Drive & W7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default SSD Drive & W7

Well, I wasn't really sure where to put my question, as it isn't really a traditional problem, but this seemed like the best place.

I currently have a 32gb SSD, 120gb SSD, and 1 TB HDD split into 2 500GB drives.
Now my 32gb SSD is set up as my C drive. My plan was to simply use it for Windows files, and that's it. However I've been trying to slim down some of the files on it, as the drive is completely full, and I've come to the point where I simply don't have enough space to reinstall Google Chrome, as every time I uninstall anything I can find, the space simply seems to be used up. I had 1gb spare the other day, and I'm down to under 200mb and I've not installed anything.

Therefore I'm curious as to what my options are. Is there a program I can use to completely clean anything that isn't Windows off this drive so I can put my necessity programs on it, like damn Chrome which you can't change it's directory? Or alternatively, is Windows too big to put on a 32gb SSD? Is that drive effectively useless, and I'll have to reinstall Windows onto my 120gb SSD? I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, in case which version of Windows 7 matters.

I have just recently done the SSD tweaks by Slaymate as well just before coming to post here.

Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: SSD Drive & W7

Did you disable the pagefile? If you didn't it could expand taking up lots of space but you can't see it on the drive.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Did you disable the pagefile? If you didn't it could expand taking up lots of space but you can't see it on the drive.
Aye. Then I went back and set up a page file on my 120gb SSD, which has plenty of space, but I'm still finding my space being eaten up without installing anything. Uninstalled a few things today. Skype / Adobe for instance, and installed them onto a different drive. Had 500mb free this morning. I've got 205mb free now and I've installed nothing onto C directly. I just don't know where the space is going. :/

Should W7 be taking up so much?

Edit: This is what I set up this morning:

Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

For starters, don't keep a pagefile on an SSD. It can slowly trash an SSD by reads and writes. Put it on one of your 500GB volumes.

If you had a pagefile on your C you can free some space by deleting it. If you are still running out of space I would do a virus scan to make sure you don't have a nasty replicating itself.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

system restore can and does gobble up a lot of space, either reduce it's size or stop using it
Turn System Restore on or off
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Damn man, I didn't even think of that because I turn it off by default

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Already turned system restore off. Shall change page file to one of the HDD drives. How do I delete existing pagefile on my C drive?

Edit: Ran MSE / MBAM / Spybot and gained 300mb on my C drive.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Bump for some information. I recently cleared 1gb of space of my C drive, so was rocking a whole 1.17gb of free space. Less than 24 hours later I'm down to 200mb of free space having installed nothing. :/

How big should W7 be?