ssd drive using to much space - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default ssd drive using to much space

I hope I can explain this correctly. My friends computer has a 128g ssd drive and a 2tb drive, I set the OS on the ssd drive and have the programs and all the files saved to the 2tb drive. the ssd drive is saying that there is only 9g of space left when I open my computer. But when I check the sizes of all the folders in the ssd drive it only adds up to like 25g. So I dont undertand why it is saying that there is 120g being used ont he ssd drive.
The only thing that I can think is wrong is that there are 5 users setup on this computer, I never use multiple users on my computers, but my friend has a family and he sets up users for all his kids. but like I said when I check the folders on the ssd drive it only adds up to 25g.

So any ideas on why this is showing so much used space

Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: ssd drive using to much space

PS every user profile will take up additional room on the ssd.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

the spacesniffer looks pretty cool, I will check that out on the computer today.
I know that multiple users will take extra space, its just weird that I dont see the space is being used
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

When using the software, use it from a root account that has access to all the other user directories. I have noticed at times Windows wont detail space used by other users with out being in such an account. Also, try clearing temp files and shadow copies, can't remember, but I don't think the shadow copies show up when checking the drive for used space, then again, you shouldn't have such a service running with your SSD.
Closed Thread