Squealing Card?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metr01973

Daemon Poster
Squealing Card and keeps turning it's self off now!!

I bought an EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7800GS CO edition graphics card and after installing the card along with it's drivers all was well. The games all run fine and still do but I keep getting a "squealing" sound coming from inside the computer. This has only happened on 1 game (Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners Of The Earth) and not during gameplay. It only happens on the menu, whenever I roll over one of the options it starts this awful sound coming from inside the computer. This doesn't seem to be having any adverse affects, that I can see. As soon as I start up the game everything is normal. Then on Saturday I installed 3DMark06 to do some benchmarking. As before, all seemed fine until the loading screens come up inbetween the actual benchmarking demos, then (while on the laoding screen) the sound starts again. It's really hard to describe the sound but the closest I could think of is feedback/squealing pig!??! lol This has only started to happen since I installed the new card and has never happened before. The rest of my games like Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legend and the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Demo are all working fine. This has led me to believe that it might be a feedback or circuit problem. It must be something that the menus have in common like using a certain circuit on the new card or a certain resolution. So I was wondering what to do next, have you any ideas as what it might be or any ideas on what to do. Any help would appreciated. btw I have checked to see if anything is catching on the card and nothing is, all the internal wires etc. are free. I have contacted the support desk where I bought it from but I probably won't hear from them till Monday at the earliest.
Anybody got ideas apart from sending it back, which I'll probably do if this carries on.

The fan on the 7800GS is probably faulty, I doubt it's even possible for the circuits to make noise.

Yea, check the fan to see if anything is coming in contact with it. Also the fan maybe a variable speed that speeds up when under load-if you can touch the heatsink when the sound starts (watch your fingers in the fan!) see if the heatsink is vibrating, and by touching it the sound stops. If so the heatsink may be loose.

It's started doing something else now aswell. After playing Oblivion for about 2 hours it's like someone just turns the graphic card off. All of a sudden I get a black screen with "no signal input" like someone has unplugged the monitor cable (which no one has obviously). The computer is still on as I can the fans etc working. So I turn it off give it 20 seconds and turn it on and everything is fine. I start playing Oblivion again and about 2 hours in it turns it's self off again. The only thing I can think it is, is overheating. So I'm going to turn on the option "alert me when things get too hot" option or whatever it is. lol I'll post my findings when I know. I've checked the fan and there is one and it's working, I can feel the air from it spinning around. On the desktop and surfing I get no problems at all, it's only when I play games.

After I posted this morning I installed a motherboard monitor and the CPU was running at 92C! Well over the alarm threshold. So I took out all the components out of my machine i.e cd drive, dvd drive, graphics card, lan card etc. The only thing I left in was the motherboard, processor, fans, heatsinks and wiring etc. Then I gave it a really good clean with some commpressed air and clouds of dust came out! I have now reassembled it and it's been running for about an hour now and the temp is a nice 44C. This morning when the temp was at 92C all I had been doing was surfing the web and using the desktop and that's all I'm doing now but the temp seems to be steady. I shall play Oblivion in a bit because it cuts out after a couple of hours playing that. I'll post my results later. btw thanks for the replies they've been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom