Spilled liquid on my computer and the rest of my series of DUMB actions about it. Help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photon

Beta member
I lose focus when something bad happens....yes that's my excuse.
So I spilled on my Sony Vaio laptop's keyboard (including touch pad) some liquid (a mix of oil, soya and vegetable juice....do not ask me how it happened, I am embarrassed enough already >.<). It was not a lot but it was a .... fair amount. Computer didn't shut down....practically nothing happened. I cleaned the superfluous liquid carefully but I was scared something might have gone to the electric system. No I did not use the fan. I rushed to the store.......yes.....holding my comp vertically. Store guy told me they couldn't help me so I am going to pay a visit to another store tomorrow.
Point is, computer worked normally, but I am scared there might be underlying damage. I noticed something (or maybe I am just paranoid now, couldn't be both) that when I connected it with electricity (battery was running out) the side got a little too hotter than the usual (only 15 minutes had passed whereas before it has been connected for hours and I didn't notice anything.)

Now it is shut down. I open often the fan. It is going to be shut down for at least the next two days. But I would like you techies to assess how damaged it could already be. Would a cleaning be any good? Yes I know I behaved in the dumbest way possible....so I beg you to skip to the objective part where you tell me that I need to start spare for another laptop. >.<

Well, You may have just gotten it wet. The problem may lie when its getting shut off. If there is any extra liquid in the computer's case, when shut off it may cause a problem. The temperature problem may be a fan short out due to the liquid. Just some suggestions. Not quite sure because I can't see it.

Sorry,

I'd go online and look for a keyboard removal how to, and clean it up. The "fluid" can cause some shorting and even corrosion of the circuitry.

A through cleaning is probably all it needs.

yeah remove the keyboard, battery, and other stuff and just do a thorough clean up of any areas you find liquid residue with some rubbing alcohol and qtips. I spilled a full nalgene (32oz) of cran-apple-grape juice on my mac book and i just popped it open cleaned it for about an hour and it works fine. that was of course after I put a hole in a trash can with my phone. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom