Spilled coke on keyboard, dishwasher? - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RockyZ

Just get a washable keyboard, I think its USB too. Its like 20 bucks and you can throw it in the dish washer if you get it dirty.

G. Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR800
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
super pi: 1m=20s
Old 11-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I always just rip the keys all of mine every 6 months or so, throw the keys in the sink with some dish soap, and clean the actual board with a cloth. I'll be damned if I shell out 10 bucks for a keyboard! Besides most keyboards today piss me off with their stupid ergonomic setup and weird sized buttons, good ol 1992 keyboard, you never fail me.

A+ certified.
I now am on the interweb:
Old 11-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

I could have perhaps just smoked some high grade crack a bit ago, or I could've sworn that you said this was a "Media Keyboard"? Why, for the love of Budda, would you decide to put ANY keyboard (save the 101 key old-school keyboard) in a dishwasher regardless of the kind of water. Fact is, this may have more electrical funtions on it than simple keys. The old keyboards are perfectly fine for a dishwasher....but with something like this you may want to just pop the keys and wipe it down with a damp cloth.

Now that I think back, I do believe that my A+ exam years and years ago had something on a keyboard dishwasher combo possibility....why? Well, because every IT office has a spare dishwasher right? :amazed:

You have probably cleaned it by now, but I just wanted to respond and make sure that you wouldn't follow instructions suggesting to place this into a diswasher.......very very silly.

I also would like to know how in the good name of Budda this "keyboard fiasco" thread got to 5 pages. I love you all...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Originally posted by Nubius
Just take the keyboard apart...take a picture so you know where the keys go if need be
Psh, any true geek/gamer can replace all the keys without looking at a different keyboard first try with no mistakes. (I tried it once, a few months ago, and missed 3-4 keys)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Actually I heard putting it in the shower works, but if you really like the keyboard or its an expensive one then just take it apart to clean it. Its easy to clean once you take it apart, its not a complex thing, its very simple to do, just takes alot of time.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally posted by uzi9mm
I like how some of you people dont mind on spending $300-500 on video cards, but your so cheap that you cant throw down $10 on a keyboard?

Some real weirdos on TF. lol

Here is a nice keyboard that does not have those annoying "shortcut" keys on the top.

EDIT: That is a big sig Rico, i have nothing against it, but just FYI, you will get your sig privs. banned. That sig santa has been making alot of stops lately to the bad little boys and girls on TF.
they keyboard I have is not 10 bucks it's more like 50 bucks. That's why I don't want to wreck it.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:49 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master Techie

Originally posted by Murdoc
they keyboard I have is not 10 bucks it's more like 50 bucks. That's why I don't want to wreck it.
Well I always buy cheap mice and keyboards, because when I get pissed in any game that I play, I will smash the keys until they start flying. And I will take my poor little mouse and slam it down multiple times. I am very violent with my input devices.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #48 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

can't believe this stupid thread was revived....jesus

Psh, any true geek/gamer can replace all the keys without looking at a different keyboard first try with no mistakes.
hence why I said "IF NEED BE"

I need a new keyboard, my old keyboard was thin, black, really light, and the only shortcut buttons it had was controlling the sound volume...I really liked that and wish I had it but I can't find a keyboard that's like that one..I'm using some old crusty clunky white one right now
Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master Techie

I have noticed that some of the older keyboards have a better "stroke" to them when you push the keys. They dont build them like they used to....

If you dont want a thread revived. A mod should go around and put a DNR on it. (DO NOT REVIVE).... Kinda like what they do in the hospital.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #50 (permalink)
Super Techie

keyboards are only 10 dollars, and the wireless ones are 60 dollars.

Closed Thread