Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 + AMD Athlon XP 2400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
I have started experiencing problems with my Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 motherboard, and my AMD Athlon XP 2400+. The CMOS battery died out, so I replaced it. All was fine, until I started noticing that when I loaded up Windows Media Player, to play .AVI files, the video would skip and jump. Barely noticeable, but it was annoying. I opened up task manager to see what the processes where. Nothing out of the norm, just Windows Media Player utilizing 100% of the processor. I removed all my codecs, and reinstalled them. Still the same problem after reboot. I went into the System Properties to get the Device Manager open, to reinstall drivers for the video card. When I did, I noticed that my 'Computer' information showed my processor as an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, and running at only 1.5Ghz. I thought that was very odd, so I opened up CPUZ. It also showed the XP 1800+ and 1.5Ghz. My multiplier was set at 15 which is normal, but my bus speed was set at 100Mhz, not the default 133Mhz. I went into the BIOS, to change the bus speed, and set it back to 133. All was fine, XP and CPUZ showed the processor as the 2400+. Played videos fine, and all was good throughout the night. I shut the computer down when I was done with it. I come in this morning and turn it on. Notice the same exact problem. It went back to 100Mhz bus speed. It has NEVER done this. Not even when I first got the board a few years back, did it set the default bus speed to 100Mhz, always 133Mhz. Whenever I had to clear the CMOS, it always stayed at 133Mhz. Any idea what's happening? Maybe a corrupt BIOS?

Seems like it may be a corrupt BIOS or some related problem. I'm not an expert on motherboards, mind you. But flashing the BIOS with whatever Soyo's latest offering might be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom