Sound/Video/CPU Usage issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker101

Beta member
Hi, i'm new here - I have a problem!

So, after quite some time having a pc that crashed with no apparent explanation I came to the conclusion that a capacitor (or capacitors) on the motherboard had buggered up and so replaced the motherboard.

Initial stress tests show that this has cured the problem, but sadly it's made a new problem arise and that is that the cpu usage when running audio/video applications skyrockets to 100% briefly (around .25 to .5 of a second) and then returns to normal again. This happens roughly every 10 to 15 seconds and causes audio & video to glitch/skip.

First thing I did was format the pc, which has done nothing. I'm currently running a computer with nothing but a (fully up-to-date) copy of windows xp sp2 (32 bit) and all the latest drivers for sound cards, graphics cards etc.

Aside from changing the boot device priorities and updating the bios, i've done nothing to the motherboard. So i'm thinking that the problem could be that all the motherboard settings (aside from the ones I just mentioned) are set to default - so perhaps it's not set up optimally for my cpu/ram.

My system specs are as follows;

Mobo: Asus P5K-E WiFi/AP Edition
CPU: Intel Conroe E6600 Core 2 Duo (2x2.4GHz)
Ram: 4GB Corsair (DDR2 667MHz)
Graphics: NVidia 8800GTS 640Mb
Soundcard: E-MU 1212m PCI

Any suggestions for possible remedies? Being a producer, having a computer that makes audio glitch is incredibly frustrating and pretty much stopping me from doing what I do!:(

I'm quite sure this isn't a software issue (although not 100%) as it wasn't happening on the old motherboard, with pretty much the same software setup. Let me know if you need any other details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom