Sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExitProsecSpree

Solid State Member
I have a problem with my sound. A few weeks ago, a BIOS-update failed, so i had to send the motherboard back to the manufacturer to flash the bios again. Now I got my pc back, and my sound does'nt work. I did a reïnstall of my drivers and windows and then drivers again. Didn't work either. When i go to my driver options (the icon next to the clock on the lower-right of the screen) and I plug in my headset to the line-out, the jacketsensor tells me that I have put in a stereo line-in device. When I change it to headset or other sound devices, it still doesn't give sound. When I say autodetect and it starts a test, it asks do you hear this sound, and I hear sound, then it's looking how many speakers I have, and I hear the buzz in the left speaker and then the right. Then it says that I have two speakers, and I have to press finish. Then I don't hear sound again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte K8N-SLI
Processor: AMD 4200+ 64bit Dual-Core 2.4ghz
Memory: 2 gygabite DDR
Graphics: Geforce7800gtx256 in SLI
Sound: Using onboard sound, have 8.1 onboard.
Cooler: Zalman €56,-
Case: Server case

Lol the problem is getting only weirder. When I plug my headphones or speakers into my microphone or line-in hole, and I enable UAJ automatic, and say it's a headset or speakers, and put the options of the UAJ automatic on the settings wich I just described (so for example if I plugged in my headset in my microphone port, I change the microphone port settings to headset), Then I hear AWFUL sound, well actually it's not really awful, only not how it's supposed to be. And as I'm in the musicbuisness, I'd like some good quality ear satisfying sound. Anyone know what to do? Maybe flashing my bios to F8 would help? I now have F5...

ps. My motherboard is a Gygabite K8N-SLI

First - how did your BIOS flash fail? <- because you dont wont that to happen again. (i assume you download the wrong BIOS for your board?)

1) you shur you have your headphones in the right jack, right? take a look at this pic, link -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...IDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

on my GA-K8NE board, the line-out is the center-left green one. thats the on your using right?

2) what audio drivers are you using? the nforce4 audio drivers? or the Gigabyte audio driver? you may as well try the one your not already using.

3) is it a plain GA-K8N-SLI? or is it for example a K8NU-SLI? or K8N-Pro-SLI?

4) Flashing it to the newest BIOS version of course be a probable fix, but dont do it untill you know why your first flash failed.

5) onboard audio is more then good enough for the average user... but if your looking for top notch sound quality(like a audiophile), you wont get best of the best sound quality from onboard audio. typically onboard is something like 16-bit audio with the basics, good after market sound cards are something like 24-bit audio with a lot more options, and probably greater frequency response or whatnot. If you wont professional info on audio cards someone in this link would probably beable to give you the necessary info -> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php

im not a audiophile and the only soundcard name for music that i remember is the 'emu0404'.. the Creative Audigy2 zs i hear is good for gaming, and the X-fi's are better all around then the Audigy's but still might not be as good for audiophile music, i wouldnt know though.

EDIT: o yea you mentioned your using a headset. i looked up headsets b4 in the past when i was considering buying one. and the ones i remember that i concluded would probably be the best, for home use, is the ' Alessandro ms-1 ' ....i never did buy any though. especially since i dont have a sound card to match its performance.. would of been overkill for my uses anyway.

My bios failed cuz pc crashed ;)

1) I'm plugging it in the right one, the line-out

2) Already tried em both

3) Plain K8N-SLI

4) I already know ;)

5) I'm probably buying a new soundcard anyway, but I don't like the idea that I have failing audio on my motherboard. I'm not an average user with sound, I'm in the sound buisness, I play in bands...

Thx for your help but it seems that a BIOS-update is the only option

The weird thing about this problem is that when I plug it into my line-in or my microphone hole, and I let the pc think that that is a speaker that I'm connecting in it, I do get sound. Only the quality is kinda bad, but I do get sound.

might as well try flashing it then, if you know your comp is not going to crash.... why did it crash the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom