Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derais

Beta member
There's no sound on my computer

I log on to my computer, and hardware manager comes up. I go through with it, and it ends, saying "There was a problem installing this hardware: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. This Device Cannot Start. Code 10"

Troubleshooting won't help

I've had no sound for about three days now and already I'm going insane over it. I've been trying to download different drivers and it never works no matter how I do it. When I boot the computer back up, it still has no sound, and the hardware manager will pop up acting like its trying to help me. Going into device manager, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

I'm a musician so this is probably the worst thing that can happen to me. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop and my OS is Windows XP. Any suggestions?

As a fellow musician I feel your pain.

Possible problems can include: (from most to least likely)
1. Corrupted drivers that haven't been removed properly and may need to be removed manually.
2. Corrupt HWmanager (may be reading the file wrong or the wrong file.)
3. Corrupt windows.
4. Fried onboard sound.

I would go through and eliminate the first three by running the troubleshooters and diagnostics and by checking your driver folders for any straggler sound driver files. OR/AND go to dell's site and ask tech support or download their model specific drivers.

What driver were you running originally?

EDIT: I found this oldgrumpy had a good how to with suggestions I suggest reading if you haven't
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic144869.html

Yeah I've read that from a different person, and when I go into Services, it's already set to "automatic" and "started". But weird, that SHOULD be the solution if you hear system beeps but no sound from anywhere else, but I still do hear system beeps even though no sound will play.

I was originally running Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, and it changed to IDT when I downloaded the Windows SP3. My audio was already busted when I downloaded it, it was just that I read a solution somewhere that said getting SP3 would help.

I've tried getting the driver from Dell's website, and when I do, it'll do the entire setup process, and it'll ask me to restart my computer. When it comes up - still no sound.

I'll try your method and if that doesn't work, I'll go to Dell for support.

Alright this "problem" was just weird...

I've been downloading the drivers from Dell about 3 times a day for almost 5 days (I'm persistant) and just today, Dell was like "lulz ima screw with this guy and give him his driver back" and my sound works now!

Even weirder, I'm supposed to have Realtek. Always have. But when I went to the drivers, it recommended SigmaTel for some reason, and now it works!

Thanks for the support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom