Sound Not Working after Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

endemix

Beta member
Hi, I've lurked on this forum alot for tech issues (mostly searching for issues im having and finding answers). However after about 3 days of searching this forum and others I am stumped.

I downgraded from Vista to XP Pro about 4 days ago due to alot of the software I use at work isn't very Vista friendly.

Laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-72VL (VGNFE880EH), I have found all the drivers/installers for the computer before the downgrade, however the computer is not listing any audio devices. Tried many diff installers of the codecs and uninstalling drivers / reinstalling in the Device Manager. Still nothing :(.... If anyone could possibly help me, it would be very thankful. (Since it has no sound device some programs that have sound on opening, quick examples OutLook Express etc fail to load because it can not play the sound associated with opening of the application)

Thanks

Have you checked the Sony site for all driers? You say you have but what type of sound device do you have? RealTek? Did you check the web for any drivers for this device?

I have the Driver from this page
Sony eSupport - VGN-FE880E/H - Software Updates & Drivers

It is a SigmaTel driver, I run it, get the little balloon telling me New Device found, then another balloon at the end of the install saying This device may not have installed correctly. Im not sure if this is a Vista Only driver, or perhaps there is one for XP, I have not been able to locate the XP or any other versions of this driver :(...

Anyone have any ideas?

First you can try the stuff at this place.
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

If the above doesn't work, try the solution below.
Install Microsoft updates KB835221, then KB888111, and than STDAUD-01108005-UN.exe

I don't know if you need KB835221 or not since KB888111 is an update of KB835221, just install both to be safe I guess. Also be sure to restart your computer first after the KBxxxxxx updates for it to take effect.

kb835221.exe - FileFront.com
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/11036/eng/kb888111.exe
ftp://ftp.vaio.sony.co.jp/pub/vaio/download/SP-011080-05/STDAUD-01108005-UN.exe

I have no idea if these files work or not, just got them off places while doing searches. Don't even know if these fixes work or not either.

Also the problem with your audio not working is because of the wrong drivers for the operating system. After searching around, it seems like a real hassle to find any kind of fix/drivers for sony laptops for windows xp.

First you can try the stuff at this place.
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

If the above doesn't work, try the solution below.
Install Microsoft updates KB835221, then KB888111, and than STDAUD-01108005-UN.exe

I don't know if you need KB835221 or not since KB888111 is an update of KB835221, just install both to be safe I guess. Also be sure to restart your computer first after the KBxxxxxx updates for it to take effect.

kb835221.exe - FileFront.com
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/11036/eng/kb888111.exe
ftp://ftp.vaio.sony.co.jp/pub/vaio/download/SP-011080-05/STDAUD-01108005-UN.exe

I have no idea if these files work or not, just got them off places while doing searches. Don't even know if these fixes work or not either.

Also the problem with your audio not working is because of the wrong drivers for the operating system. After searching around, it seems like a real hassle to find any kind of fix/drivers for sony laptops for windows xp.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I now have sound :D, I was able to install the MSUpdate kb835221 however not the kb888111 (gave me a error stating that it was already upgraded further) Then installed the STDAU-01108005-UN.exe followed by the .rar packed installer. Note that this was not an instant fix, and did not prompt me at anytime to restart after finishing. It somehow was fixed after installing these and restarting about 3-4 times, and one full shutdown for about 10-15minutes.

Thanks alot, sony laptops do not like to be downgraded from what I've seen =/ and of course no help being they do not support ANY downgrades and it pretty much voids your warranty from what they've told me from tech-support today :(.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom