Sound jacks in front - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Default Sound jacks in front

I have a mic and an earphone jack on the front of my case. There is also two usb ports. The usb ports work but the jacks doesn't. I don't use the onboard soundcard (AC 97). I use a Sound Blaster Live Value. How can I get my front jacks to work. I hate to go to the back of my case every time I want plug in my headset.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Sound jacks in front

If you don't use the onboard sound card then you will have to run extentions from the back of your sound car in the back to the front of the case. Those audio jacks in the front are connected to your MB allowing your onboard sound to come through the front speakers.

-Vista SME
Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Some sound cards have connecters inside. If you have it you can disconnect the frontpanel connections from mboard, and connect it to the card so that everything is inside the pc.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I might have misunderstood, but it sounds like you are just having a problem with the front audio jack on your case. For this you have to connect the front audio jack to the front panel connectors, which are usually multiple pins at the bottom right of your case.
Asus P5Q Deluxe
OCZ Reaper 4gb (2 x 2gb)
Intel e8500 (ocing but need to learn more)
WD 640gb 7200rpm
Visiontek HD 4870
Corsair 750tx 750w
Thermaltake VH6000BWS
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Xigmatek Rifle 1283 with retention bracket
Samsung syncmaster 226bw 22
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your help so far, guys. But yeah, I know how to connect my front panel to my motherboard. So grkbar, you misunderstood me a little. The other idea of connecting the front panel to my soundcard on the inside was also an option I wanted to try before. The only problem is, there is no guides on which cable and how. I have it connected to my DVD ROM on the inside, and I remember back in the day, my CD ROM used to have an earphone jack that worked (because my it was obviously connected to my soundcard like my DVD ROM is now). Is there somehow I can connect that same cable to the front panel.

Otherwise, can someone explain to me how I can connect the front panel to my soundcard and with what cable?

Closed Thread