Sound Card Question. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Sound Card Question.

Question...

I was comparing two sound cards. One was said to be fully supported by Linux, the other, not completely sure. I went with the not completely sure one since it was cheaper and uh... well I'm poor. Very nice card, love it, however Linux is having some issues with it, such as 50% of the time I boot, it works, the other 50%, doesn't work, etc. But anyway...

I was considering on returning the card and getting the other, more expensive one, when I noticed something...

Both sound cards (SIIG SoundWave 7.1 PCI + Turtle Beach Montego) use the same chipset... So, if they have the same chipset, they have the same "brain" powering them. In other words, if the TB Montego is 100% supported, isn't it likely that the SIIG is supported too? Or am I completely off?

I just want to make sure I got the facts straight before I go returning items that, in theory, should work for me.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Sound Card Question.

Hello,

This is not necessarily true. There are motherboards out there that have same chipset but can not use certain things. Take for instance my mobo.

It is a Intel based chipset. Yet i can not install a 64 Bit chip and run it as my BIOS does not support it and i can not flash it to a different BIOS. I knw that my mobo can handle a different and better chip yet cause of my BIOS i am limited to this chip and can only run this.

So while the chipsets may be the same it is everything that goes into how the chipsets are used that determine if it will work or not. The chipset may be the brain but how the card reacts with the brain and works with it are not the same.

At least that is what i figure.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Mak... thanks for the quick response... and I understand what you're saying. It makes sense.

I know there's more components to a sound card than just a chipset that dictate how it'll react. But, on the spec sheet at least, everything seemed to be identical, which left me confused over why it wasn't working.

Well... I guess my hunt for a Linux sound card that works out of the box continues!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Jayce,

I could be totally wrong. I am going by what i know of chipsets and such. Plus my personal situation with having a Dell mobo and such.

But i could be completely wrong and they could be identical.

In all honesty i run a Creative Audigy 2ZS sound card and i have not had any issues with it in Linux. I have tried PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I know it aint much but it has worked right from install with sound. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Mak

Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Meh, yeah... I want something with a little more power. I'd like at least 5.1, in case I ever do upgrade my speakers (which is a thought at the moment). And I'm really stuck on getting a 24 bit 96khz card... That's why I've kind of limited my choices to

DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71 7.1
SIGG SoundWave 7.1 (what I just got yesterday and can't seem to get working)
Turtle Beach Montego
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Jayce,

The Audigy 2ZS is 5.1 sound. I run it all the time.

Cheers,
Mak

Closed Thread