Sound Card issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Sound Card issues

Just recently, the the warning beeps, dings, etc, including the Windows log-on and log-off music, have stopped coming out of my external speakers. These program sounds now only come from the internal PC speaker. But when I check Sounds and Audio Devices settings through Control Panel (Windows XP Pro.) all settings are correct, and I can test-play all the sounds for the selected sound scheme (Windows Default) correctly through the sound card & speakers. Also sound from CDs and DVDs also play correctly through the external speakers. I have reinstalled drivers for the sound card (RealTek HD Audio), but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Sound Card issues

The POST beep always comes from your internal speaker.

Your Log-on and Log-off sounds may have been reset for some odd reason.

In Sound settings, go to the Sounds tab. Is a sound assigned for Windows Logon and Windows Logoff?

__________________ Steam Account
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Sound Card issues

Yes, sounds are set for Windows log-on and log-off as well as all the other normal events in the default Windows sound scheme. While in the Sound tab in Control Panel I can play all these sounds through the sound card and external speakers. But when I am using programs that until recently used these sounds for different events and actions, they no longer play; I simply get beeps from the internal PC speaker.
Closed Thread