Sony VAIO VGN-CR205E gone haywire - any help much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

booglebowl

Beta member
some sauce got spilled on my girlfriends Sony vaio VGN-CR205E laptop, more specifically on the keyboard. So she grabbed a slightly damp cloth and proceeded to mop it up as diligently as possible. In the process, many keys were pushed at once while she left the computer on in a panic. Also in the process, the network switch on the top of the keyboard area was pushed disconnecting from any network.

She then turned off the computer to finish cleaning up. Upon turning back on, the computer hung for a long time at the BIOS screen and would not budge until ESC was hit and was then prompted to enter the BIOS menu. Upon exit a "Boot Device" screen popped up asking for which device to boot from.

I forget the exact order but it had approx 8 options similiar to this:

1. USB
2. Floppy Disk Drive
3. Internal Optical Drive
6. Internal Harddisk

I instructed her to choose the Harddisk and then Windows finally loaded. But once in Windows a new issue arose. The computer is unable to find any networks. I directed her to the Device Manager and Under 'Network Adapters', no devices are found. I told her to show 'Hidden Devices', and still no Ethernet card or WiFi detection.

I made sure that the Network switch was turned back on but I am now out of ideas for this. My next course of action is the possibility that when something was spilled that a key or two on the keyboard is stuck down. Would that cause any of this or is there something else I should be looking at. Want some more opinions before pushing forward.

Unfortunately I am directing her through this over the phone as I am away on business at the moment for a while.

I appreciate any advice and help anybody can offer. Thank you for your time.

Took the keyboard off and there is no visible damage.

another quick update, the DVD drive is not functioning either. forgot to include that in the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom