Something wrong with my video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticmidget

Baseband Member
When I'm playing Counter Strike: Source every now and then my screen will just go black and have streams of color going through it. When I alt-tab out and back in again the problem is fixed. I had a friend suggest that maybe my video card is overheating...I have my card set to inform me when the temperature exceeds the core slowdown threshold. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it?

While I'm talking about about my video card I might as well ask you guys something. I'm going to use CS:S again as an example. I've noticed that how high my graphics are doesn't really make too much of an impact on how many fps I have in my game. I was wondering if my processor might be holding my PC back from how many frames it could be getting. I'm obviously no expert on the subject, so anything you might have to add on the topic would be very helpful.

It may just be a software problem. Try uninstall and getting the new drivers for whichever company it is. If that doesnt work try reinstalling counterstrike source.

what type of monitor do you have?

as for the FPS, have you ran the vide stress test? run it a few times with and without the setting maxed and youll see the difference if theres no real differecne post back.

also is it ATI or Nvidia?

I ran the video stress test....the results are as follows:
Maxed Video Settings - Average of 164.73 FPS
Min Video Settings - Average of 167.43 FPS

I'm going to make the assumption that the fps decrease in game is caused by my processor.... I could really use an experts help on this. BTW It is an Nvidia 7900 GT KO as stated in my sig. The monitor is a Philips 20" CRT. Max Supported Resolution is 1920 x 1200.

This might help too....I used to run CS:S at 1600 x 1200....but due to competitive gaming I turned it down to 1024 x 768 to up my frames for performance reasons. Those tests were run at 1024 x 768.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom