Something gone wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daretadakatsu

Baseband Member
Hey guys,
just went about cleaning my computer..

took fan off cpu, and my processor was stuck to it ( i didnt build this one )
so after a big pull managed to get it off the heatsink..

Slip processor back in, re-applied paste, struggled locking fan back on top of it...

BUT anyway, after its all re-assembled, i boot up computer, to find no signal, on either the graphics card, or on board graphics

the system sounds fine, and quieter, what do you thinks happened?
all wires are in place and not loose..

the only thing i can think of is the processor isnt in place properly, but it was sat in place and dont think it moved...

thanks in advanced

Double check to make sure your RAM is seated all the way in. This has happened to me several times, where the RAM wasn't quite seated properly (just a little loose). Make sure this is the same with all plugs and cards (GPU/sound/etc.).

I've checked them all, they all seem pretty secure and "in"
another thing i thought of... the processer itself , if the bed of needles wernt all in place... would it take an affect?

oh and for some reason now, it seems impossible to try release the fan/heatsink, its locked in better than it was originally

another thing i thought of... the processer itself , if the bed of needles wernt all in place... would it take an affect?

It won't post at all to the motherboard if the pins are bent.
Release the lever on the heatsink safely and turn your cpu upside down.

Can your tell us if the pins were lightly bent, or laid flat.....

I've checked them all, they all seem pretty secure and "in"

oh and for some reason now, it seems impossible to try release the fan/heatsink, its locked in better than it was originally

yes, big effect.
if the pins (or needles as you called it) were broken you have essentially killed your processor.
if they were merely bent, you may carefully straighten them with a mechanical pencil.

It looked like a few of them were bent,
when i took the fan off and realised my processor was stuck to i thought this is bad, as its never happened before.

a few pins looked bent, around 1 or two, but i've straightened them out ever so slightly and the processer, just slides in place,

Thanks for the quick reply guys

EDIT: Infact all pins are intact, last night i must have been tired ( uk time 2 in morning )

Processor is fine, so still dont know what the problem is

It looked like a few of them were bent,
when i took the fan off and realised my processor was stuck to i thought this is bad, as its never happened before.

a few pins looked bent, around 1 or two, but i've straightened them out ever so slightly and the processer, just slides in place,

Thanks for the quick reply guys

EDIT: Infact all pins are intact, last night i must have been tired ( uk time 2 in morning )

Processor is fine, so still dont know what the problem is

I read your post the first time around, if you say the system powers on lightly and you don't hear your dvd drive cycling through post and your hdd's initializing.
I would rule out the motherboard as the problem itself.
May I ask what kind of motherboard and cpu you have ?

If its the new amd fx lineup, your motherboard may not have the current bios yet for the cpu to be active yet.
May help it if your mobo manufacturer can update it for you with a fee.
Or they can tell you which removable bios chip you'll need and do the installation yourself.

All and all, you"ll be fine later on once we see what can be done about your issue this week.

I read your post the first time around, if you say the system powers on lightly and you don't hear your dvd drive cycling through post and your hdd's initializing.
I would rule out the motherboard as the problem itself.
May I ask what kind of motherboard and cpu you have ?

If its the new amd fx lineup, your motherboard may not have the current bios yet for the cpu to be active yet.
May help it if your mobo manufacturer can update it for you with a fee.
Or they can tell you which removable bios chip you'll need and do the installation yourself.

All and all, you"ll be fine later on once we see what can be done about your issue this week.

Thank you for your input:
My problem has been solved for now, i went over the board 3 times checked all inputs, although i couldn't find any loose ones when i installed a new fan over the cpu that i've had for a few months now it started working again, Only thing now is my processor usage, running at around 6% most of the time, and spiking up randomly:

The only thing running at the moment is skype

Phenom II X6 1090t Black edition
Gigabyte 880 GA

What's running in the background, though?

Open Task Manager > click "Show all processes" button > sort by CPU usage > what process keeps making it spike up?

Or is it just windows itself because if you have Vista that would be the cause however if not then possible virus or worm :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom