Something burning in my dell dimension 8400 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Something burning in my dell dimension 8400

Ok guys first I like to say this is my first post. I have been browsing these forums for a long time the information has been great. Anyway so here is my problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 I have had this computer for over four years never had a problem with it. I play World of Warcraft on this computer since day one never ever had a problem before. One day when I'm playing I start smelling this weird burning smell like plastic it keeps getting worse. I open the box look for anything burning or melting don't see anything. The smell is the strongest by the powersupply and the p4chip / heatsink. So I figure to myself must be the powersupply. Run to the store upgrade to a 500 watt standard powersupply hook it up and the same incident happens again. That burning smell and the computer locks up. I open up the box look around the fans are all working but I noticed that the video card and near that area is really hot. Any idea's where I should go from here. Should I junk this thing I don't want this computer to burn my house down. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Re: Something burning in my dell dimension 8400

Welcome to Tech-Forums.net!

Could you please tell me what CPU and Video Card you have?

If the heat is coming from the CPU HS&Fan & Video Card, it could be the fact that after 4 years the thermal material on both the CPU & GPU have gone bone dry. More than likely the CPU had a thermal pad. The GPU probably had some sort of cheap Thermal grease. If it's the X800 XT you have in that, it's white garbage grease.

The fix could be after market cooling and High Quality thermal grease.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Sprayed with air lately?
Newegg.com - Memorex 32028021 Air Duster Unscented, 1 Pack
sounds like video card? what slot do you have? agp, pci, pci-e?
If it hasn't been air cleaned try that. Are you overclocked? You can download CoreTemp to check cpu temps. Real Temp v Core Temp
good time to make sure everythings backed-up too
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by septic View Post
Sprayed with air lately?
Newegg.com - Memorex 32028021 Air Duster Unscented, 1 Pack
sounds like video card? what slot do you have? agp, pci, pci-e?
If it hasn't been air cleaned try that. Are you overclocked? You can download CoreTemp to check cpu temps. Real Temp v Core Temp
It's a Dell Dimension 8400. I doubt he's overclocking. I also doubt the Dell Dimension 8400 is compatible with CoreTemp.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
It's a Dell Dimension 8400. I doubt he's overclocking. I also doubt the Dell Dimension 8400 is compatible with CoreTemp.
Correct on both. Cant OC a Dimension 8400 and CoreTemp doesnt work. I have tried myself. Same system i have. The CPU is the 3.4 GHz Prescott if it is like mine. If the config is near mine it wuold also have a vanilla 6800 in there as well.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow this site is great fast reply's . Ok its a P4 3.2 with a 256mb nvidia gforce 6 series . I turned on the computer played warcraft again. I started smelling that smell It was coming from the video card. The computer locked up again. I turned off the computer and pulled all the cards out to look for burning or melting anything. I didnt find anything at all. The video card was so hot I couldn't even touch it. Maybe the fan took a dump . I don't want to spend the money for a new video card if its not the problem. Thanks again for all the help.

Also its a pci express and I am not overclocking. I do smell a slight smell too from the fan too but mostly from the video card.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yeah you got the GeForce 6800 in there. That is all that was offered at the time. I got the same thing myself but have since upgraded.

I would say the card is dead. I could send ya my old 6800 over. It still works and has a NVSilencer Cooler on it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Mak that would be great if you can send me that card I pay for the shipping cost or whatever you would want for it. Let me know
Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

There is a option in my profile to email me since you do not have access to the Personal Messenger System. Use that to contact me and we will sort out the details.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

My Dell Dimension 8400 just died on me about two months ago. Mobo fried. Bought it (computer)when Doom 3 came out. Not trying to be a computer grim reaper, but just putting that out there for you guys.
-Pure

Closed Thread