Someone please help. RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamussg

Solid State Member
I'm an idiot and I plugged a stick of ram into my computer that wasn't compatable. I removed it and all my computer does now is a steady beep. It won't boot, won't do anything. I tried reseating my original ram and powering everything up but all it does is beep. Did I destroy my RAM or my motherboard? What can I do?
asus a7333 motherboard
512 ram
athlon 1.67 ghz
(I attempted to upgrade my ram with an incompatible stick of ram.}
Please help!!!

Googling Asus motherboard beep codes and checking a couple hits at BIOSCentral and A to Z in computers, it appears that one long continuous beep still means a DRAM/memory error. (No surprise, right?) First try removing all the RAM, use the jumper to reset the CMOS (Warning! You'll loose all settings about things like your RAID setup if you have one and so on.), re-insert the known good one, and try again. Inserting RAM takes a surprising amount of force to get it to snap in. Make sure the (usually white or black) tabs that fit into the notches along the side of the RAM are in all the way. If they aren't already in, you should be able to push them in if the RAM is in all the way. If they aren't fitting into the notches, you probably don't have the RAM in as far as you think.

Also, read the sticky post at the beginning of this section.

My RAm is definitly seated correctly. How do I reset the CMOS with a jumper? Never done that. I'm kinda a newbie?

I've already tried unplugging the power to the motherboard. And removing and replacing the battery. Then I try reseating ram and booting. Nothing. Is it posible I fried the good ram I did have?

How do I reset the CMOS with a jumper? Never done that. I'm kinda a newbie?
The CMOS reset is a jumper usually near the battery. Check your motherboard manual for the exact location. You remove the little disc battery, either put a jumper over the pins indicated for reset (or move the jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for example), wait 20 seconds or so, move the jumper back, put the battery back in a start up. Read the sticky on resetting your BIOS at the top of this section.

If you have more than one ram slot, make sure that you put the known good ram card into the primary ram card slot. (Usually the one closest to the processor) Some motherboards require this slot to be filled.

I have an asus as7333 motherboard. It has ultimate capacity of 3 gb ram just so you know. I removed battery and see the three pins located next to it. What do I hook up to them? What sticky note are you talking about? I am a retard.

Okay... I found the sticky note. I have three pins located next to my battery. There is nothing hooked up to them. I bought a new stick of 512 mb ddr 2700 184 pin. I tried removing battery without the computer plugged in and waitng... then putting battery back in and reseating ram and trying to power up but nothing happens but that **** beep. I'm getting really frustrated. I have searched for a manual online but can't find one. I think I'm gonna call asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom