[SOLVED] Portable Hard Drive doesn't work anymore

dclemons2

Baseband Member
I have this oyen digital u32 shadow 500gb portable hard drive, and when I first got it, the wire connector was always loose when I plug it into the drive, meaning I'd have to the drive positioned in a way where it'll stay connected and if I move it even a little it would disconnect.
I've been using this drive for a while now, almost a year maybe;also every time I'd connect the drive to the pc, a window would pop asking if I want to scan the drive for bad sectors, whatever that means, I never did it, because it was always working fine.
But today the worst of everything just had to happen.
I restarted my pc and when the pc was booting up again, I unplugged the drive from the pc (because I can't have it plugged in during boot up or the pc will try to boot from the portable drive)
After doing that, and trying to plug the drive back in, that's when it doesn't turn on anymore. The blue light wouldn't come on anymore, nothing.
I'm already freaking out, and pissed, so I try to plug it into my xbox, to see if it'll turn on; it doesn't. Nothing.
Now, I guess I got a dead drive with all of my files on it, I mean I have everything on this drive, photos, videos, my current resumes and cover letters, , documents, music, everything .
Is there a way I can get my files back? Because if not, then I've really lost everything.

Last edited:
Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Yeah, you can try taking the hard drive out of the external casing - the site says it's a "Toshiba 500GB MQ01ABF050" inside which will have a regular sata connector like all the other hard drives in your PC - you should be able to just plug that into a spare sata port on your motherboard (just copy how your other hard drive is plugged in)

Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Yeah, you can try taking the hard drive out of the external casing - the site says it's a "Toshiba 500GB MQ01ABF050" inside which will have a regular sata connector like all the other hard drives in your PC - you should be able to just plug that into a spare sata port on your motherboard (just copy how your other hard drive is plugged in)

Hmm... this is oyen digital u32 shadow 500gb portable drive you're referring to still, right?
How would I get the case to open anyways? it has no screws. Not going to risk doing something I don't know what I'm doing and make things even worse, or corrupt the files.

Last edited:
Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

It's just a hard drive enclosed in a plastic case. Like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

The case usually isn't designed to be opened so it might be difficult - usually I'd use a flat headed screwdriver. Most of the time there's just some plastic clips holding the thing together. If it's not powering on at all then it doesn't matter if you break the outer plastic casing - only the actual hard drive inside is important. You won't corrupt anything by taking it out

See that little green board sticking out in the pic above? That's the part that's probably died - the hard drive could still be just fine. When you take it out you'll see the green board separates from the hard drive, and all you're left holding is a bog-standard hard drive just like the one in your PC. You won't know till you take it out and plug it into the inside of your PC ;) if you really don't feel comfortable taking it out of the case, you'll have to pay someone.

Last edited:

I'm gonna wait for a few other suggestions before I try this. I want to have all options laid out beforehand.

Last edited:

EDIT: Okay...
I was able to get the top cover off like so:
now, what's next?

IMG_0128.jpg

EDIT: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! :victorious::victorious::grin::grin::triumphant:
I DID IT! I was able to get the drive out of the casing and connected inside the pc, thank GOD! nothing was damaged/corrupted!!
And also, the message that used to pop up asking to scan it doesn't show up anymore. I saw a lot of fixes after reboot.
It was all thanks to S0ULphIRE for that suggestion!
The only downside is I won't be able to use it on my xbox anymore cause, well, its in my pc now! But I've got another drive for that anyways.
Thanks for your help S0ULphIRE!

EDIT: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! :victorious::victorious::grin::grin::triumphant:
I DID IT! I was able to get the drive out of the casing and connected inside the pc, thank GOD! nothing was damaged/corrupted!!
And also, the message that used to pop up asking to scan it doesn't show up anymore. I saw a lot of fixes after reboot.
It was all thanks to S0ULphIRE for that suggestion!
The only downside is I won't be able to use it on my xbox anymore cause, well, its in my pc now! But I've got another drive for that anyways.
Thanks for your help S0ULphIRE!

You can always buy a new / separate enclosure.

I'll say though...don't cheap out on an enclosure. I've had drives die because of wanting to save a few bucks and getting cheap enclosures. I've gone through 2 - 3 cheap enclosures in the past several years...but the IcyDock enclosure I bought nearly 10 years ago...working perfectly fine still.

You can always buy a new / separate enclosure.

I'll say though...don't cheap out on an enclosure. I've had drives die because of wanting to save a few bucks and getting cheap enclosures. I've gone through 2 - 3 cheap enclosures in the past several years...but the IcyDock enclosure I bought nearly 10 years ago...working perfectly fine still.

what's an enclosure? the thing that little green board thing that has the USB output thingy?

Back
Top Bottom