[SOLVED] Portable Hard Drive doesn't work anymore - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation [SOLVED] Portable Hard Drive doesn't work anymore

I have this oyen digital u32 shadow 500gb portable hard drive, and when I first got it, the wire connector was always loose when I plug it into the drive, meaning I'd have to the drive positioned in a way where it'll stay connected and if I move it even a little it would disconnect.
I've been using this drive for a while now, almost a year maybe;also every time I'd connect the drive to the pc, a window would pop asking if I want to scan the drive for bad sectors, whatever that means, I never did it, because it was always working fine.
But today the worst of everything just had to happen.
I restarted my pc and when the pc was booting up again, I unplugged the drive from the pc (because I can't have it plugged in during boot up or the pc will try to boot from the portable drive)
After doing that, and trying to plug the drive back in, that's when it doesn't turn on anymore. The blue light wouldn't come on anymore, nothing.
I'm already freaking out, and pissed, so I try to plug it into my xbox, to see if it'll turn on; it doesn't. Nothing.
Now, I guess I got a dead drive with all of my files on it, I mean I have everything on this drive, photos, videos, my current resumes and cover letters, , documents, music, everything .
Is there a way I can get my files back? Because if not, then I've really lost everything.

dclemons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Yeah, you can try taking the hard drive out of the external casing - the site says it's a "Toshiba 500GB MQ01ABF050" inside which will have a regular sata connector like all the other hard drives in your PC - you should be able to just plug that into a spare sata port on your motherboard (just copy how your other hard drive is plugged in)

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Yeah, you can try taking the hard drive out of the external casing - the site says it's a "Toshiba 500GB MQ01ABF050" inside which will have a regular sata connector like all the other hard drives in your PC - you should be able to just plug that into a spare sata port on your motherboard (just copy how your other hard drive is plugged in)
Hmm... this is oyen digital u32 shadow 500gb portable drive you're referring to still, right?
How would I get the case to open anyways? it has no screws. Not going to risk doing something I don't know what I'm doing and make things even worse, or corrupt the files.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

It's just a hard drive enclosed in a plastic case. Like this:

The case usually isn't designed to be opened so it might be difficult - usually I'd use a flat headed screwdriver. Most of the time there's just some plastic clips holding the thing together. If it's not powering on at all then it doesn't matter if you break the outer plastic casing - only the actual hard drive inside is important. You won't corrupt anything by taking it out

See that little green board sticking out in the pic above? That's the part that's probably died - the hard drive could still be just fine. When you take it out you'll see the green board separates from the hard drive, and all you're left holding is a bog-standard hard drive just like the one in your PC. You won't know till you take it out and plug it into the inside of your PC if you really don't feel comfortable taking it out of the case, you'll have to pay someone.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

I'm gonna wait for a few other suggestions before I try this. I want to have all options laid out beforehand.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

EDIT: Okay...
I was able to get the top cover off like so:
now, what's next?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Cool Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

EDIT: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
I DID IT! I was able to get the drive out of the casing and connected inside the pc, thank GOD! nothing was damaged/corrupted!!
And also, the message that used to pop up asking to scan it doesn't show up anymore. I saw a lot of fixes after reboot.
It was all thanks to S0ULphIRE for that suggestion!
The only downside is I won't be able to use it on my xbox anymore cause, well, its in my pc now! But I've got another drive for that anyways.
Thanks for your help S0ULphIRE!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclemons2 View Post
EDIT: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
I DID IT! I was able to get the drive out of the casing and connected inside the pc, thank GOD! nothing was damaged/corrupted!!
And also, the message that used to pop up asking to scan it doesn't show up anymore. I saw a lot of fixes after reboot.
It was all thanks to S0ULphIRE for that suggestion!
The only downside is I won't be able to use it on my xbox anymore cause, well, its in my pc now! But I've got another drive for that anyways.
Thanks for your help S0ULphIRE!
You can always buy a new / separate enclosure.

I'll say though...don't cheap out on an enclosure. I've had drives die because of wanting to save a few bucks and getting cheap enclosures. I've gone through 2 - 3 cheap enclosures in the past several years...but the IcyDock enclosure I bought nearly 10 years ago...working perfectly fine still.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE HARD DRIVE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! PLEASE! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You can always buy a new / separate enclosure.

I'll say though...don't cheap out on an enclosure. I've had drives die because of wanting to save a few bucks and getting cheap enclosures. I've gone through 2 - 3 cheap enclosures in the past several years...but the IcyDock enclosure I bought nearly 10 years ago...working perfectly fine still.
what's an enclosure? the thing that little green board thing that has the USB output thingy?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
W͂O̠̳ͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕Ķ͎̠̱̰̓ͦĒ ̍̓ͦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclemons2 View Post
what's an enclosure? the thing that little green board thing that has the USB output thingy?
more or less

My Build
CPU - AMD X4 860k @ 3.7ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 780
RAM - 2x HyperX Fury 4gb
MOBO - MSI A78M-E35
SSD - 120gb Kingston Hyper X
HDD - WD 320gb
Steam: zaka100123
zaka100 is offline   Reply With Quote