So it seems my video card is "faulty"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
I have been emailing BFG Tech about my GTX 285 (OC version) being unstable. They have determined it's the video card that's at fault (unlike the dude I talked to over the phone...) and say I should send it back to them.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with BFGs return service. Good? Bad? How long does it take? I need this desktop to be running quite a lot, I can't stand a lot of down time.

Thanks for any replies

I have no experience with them, but have never heard anything negative about them either.

The process should go smoothly so long as you are nice and respectfull, have the card, box and packaging all in good condition, make sure all contents of the purchase are shipped back to them, have proof of purchase via a printed invoice from the site you ordered from and ship it to them as quickly as possible, at least a 2-3 service.

Also a good idea to put insurance on the package.

Alright. I still have my original box and packaging, as well as the original invoice for the order from Newegg :tongue: I keep everything.

Anyways I just emailed them back with all my information. We'll see what happens next.

On a side note, nice to see you again, Ste. It's been a while! You might not remember me under this pseudonym.

be sure to ask whether or not to send back the accessories (cables and such). Usually on an RMA you will get back just the card and not the stuff you sent back. That was my experience with Sapphire, and is probably the norm.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. This is the first problem I've had with a BFG card (I've had four before this one), so I'm pretty surprised at this whole incident. But I'm sure everything will be squared away soon.

iFargle: Like Ste said, not too much negative is heard about BFG. They've got lifetime guarantees, 24/7/365 support, etc. But you can always find someone to say something negative about them.........like me.

I had a somewhat sour experience with BFG Tech. For man, many years, I had ATI/ Radeon graphics cards. And then, about two years ago, I wanted to try an nVidia-based graphics card. Maybe I was swayed by all those adverts that said, "nVidia: The Way It's Meant To Be Played" :silly:

Anyway....about two years ago I got the nVidia-based graphics card of the 9800 GX2. Many companies put out this nVidia card (like also EVGA, XFX, etc.), but I decided to go with BFG Tech.

I made sure the other components in my system met the requirements of the video card (CPU, RAM, PSU). But, after assembling the system, I was experiencing poor performance in video games with very low FPS, but, with this MONSTER of a card, the 9800 GX2 should have been shredding through these games.

I started e-mailing BFG Tech back-and-forth, and to be quite frank, I felt as though they were being resistant, almost antagonistic. I'm sure companies deal with all sorts of customers, but with something like upgrading your own graphics card, well, your "average Joe" is not going to do that himself. Usually you have to have some "techy-ness" about you, some "geek" factor. I may not be some kind of tech guru, but, I know my way around a mainboard.

I was giving them all the tech info and proof that they needed. I even showed them the results of a 3DMark06 Test that I ran with horrendous results.

My contention at the time was that it was a PSU problem. The PSU that I had at the time also just happened to be from their company, a BFG 650 watt. Supposedly the 650 was enough to power the card. But, I did some investigating, and this particular 650 watt put out by BFG did not exactly get stellar reviews.

For one thing, it did not have an 8 pin plug for the PCI-e card, but rather, an adapter that turns a 6 pin into an 8 pin. From what I've found out, that is not the preferred method. Plus, this particular 650 from BFG did not have strong 12V rails.

Eventually we worked something out and I upgraded to their 800 watt.......but it was their "older" version of the 800, not the newer, recent version (their newer ones are from the ES Series).

On a positive note, when I put the 800 watt in, performance of the graphics card improved, better FPS in games, etc.

But still not quite what I thought it should be.

I grew tired and frustrated "battling" with them, so I went out and got a Corsair PSU. This one was actually 50 watts less than the BFG 800; it's a Corsair 750 watt, but, it's got great 12V rails.

After installing the Corsair, my performance increased even more with the graphics card. I ran another 3DMark06 Test with excellent results.

And then.............yes, there's more..........the GX2 card was running just a little too hot for my tastes. It runs quite warm, as a rule, because the GX2 is two graphics cards "sandwiched" into one big brick. But things were getting too toasty too fast. And I've got great cooling, too, with a CoolerMaster 932 HAF case.

So after more haranguing with BFG Tech (I'm just so evil), they replaced my GX2 with another.

Whew.

I know there's plenty of people who have had nothing but a spectacular experience with BFG Tech. I'm just not one of them. I always felt like we were banging heads, that I was always at odds with them, like they were being deliberately antagonistic.

To me, it's like they didn't want to admit they were wrong (originally with their 650 PSU being "inferior").

If I decide to get another nVidia-based graphics card again, it won't be with BFG. I've heard good word about EVGA :thumbsup:

Pez

Hm. That's a little bit of a signal to me, because my PSU is 650W (minimum for this specific card was said to be 575) Except that my card runs as fast as it should, ~30 fps with Crysis maxed (with the lower clocks I set).

Link to the NewEgg store page: Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCBE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And my 12V rails are far above 42A, so we'll see what's wrong with it when BFG ships it back.

and Pez, my brother owns an EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB. He's had no problems with it thus far. My two favorite distributors are EVGA and BFG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom