So... My PSU is fried (At Least I Think So)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raziel-Zero

In Runtime
Hey all!

Adding to my recent myriad of problems with my upgraded computer I think I may have fried my PSU.

As some of you may recall only one stick of my 2 GB's of memory was working. It was suggested to me that I should up the voltage from 1.8 -> 2.0 (The memory had a recommended range of 1.8-2.2). So I did this, and BAM it started after two tries. I then turned it off and rebooted it got to the BIOS screen and just froze... So I hit the power switch and booted it right back up only to find that the computer turns on for about a second or two before switching right the **** off ;).

Argh.

So I think the extra voltage was too much for my poor Antec Truepower 2.0 550W, but I want to make sure before I go out and by some beast of a power supply that it was indeed my power supply and not (sigh) my brand new motherboard or RAM.

Is there anyway I can identify the problem here?

Thanks in advance guys!

Try jumping the power supply, to see if it's defective.

To jump the power supply, disconnect it from the components, and just connect the case fans. Also disconnect the power cord from the outlet, and turn off the power supply button. Take a paper clip, and bend it into a U shape. Next, stick one end into the green pin or wire of the 24-pin main power connector. Then stick the other end into any black pin or wire, on the main power connector. Then turn on the power supply, to see if the fans spin. If they don't, something is wrong with the power supply.

Wait when you say turn on the power supply, do you mean plugged into the wall and all or just hit the button without the plug in the wall :S

Oh, sorry about that. Yes, plug it into the wall first, and turn on the power supply button.

A truepower 550w should be plenty for that system....and since the Case fans turned on I suspect it's a motherboard problem.

Did you reset the CMOS?

Well I did what I thought resetting the CMOS was. I got this stanley knife thing and held it to the two CMOS pin things for a few second a number of times. Made no difference.

If it's the motherboard I might just kill someone.

Okay, so I just ruled out the possibilty of RAM by taking my Dad's PC5300 RAM and chucking it in my computer, same thing happened :/.

So I guess it is either the power supply or the motherboard. Is there no way of telling which? I was told that the green - > black wire thing doesn't necessarily mean that the PSU is stuffed because the Antec 2.0's blow caps alot or something? Argh.

Progress Report #2: So I removed my PSU and hooked it up to another rig and everything booted up just fine, I'm posting to you now from it.

So I guess that leaves the motherboard as the chief trouble maker... Is there anyway to be sure of that though?

Just bought this mobo, not sure how I am going to swing getting it replaced seeing as I already got one stick of RAM replaced by the people who I bought it off and they know it was working.. Althought the RAM never worked, I could argue that it was because of the motherboard perhaps? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

If the PSU worked, and everything else, the culprit is most probably the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom