So my buddy destroyed his CMOS Checksum

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so you're saying the BIOS is toast? if the CMOS is corrupt then all you need to do is reset it, either with the jumper on the mobo or by removing the coin battery on the mobo for several minutes.

If the bios program is actually damaged then i'm not entirely sure how you should proceed but I've believe the is something you can do :confused:

Well, when he turns on his computer it says there's a bad checksum error. When we use the jumper or battery, it will load and say there's two errors. 1) CMOS Settings Error 2) Wrong date/time. If we do not change some power settings, then the computer won't load the bios on a reboot. After we change some and reboot, it will load and say 'CMOS Checksum error'. Jumping it buts us back up to the other two settings. I've thought about reflashing the bios, but the computer won't boot enough to be able to run anything off of a floppy.

well an old computer of mine (P3) sometimes says that, but it also says press F1 to continue, and you can just boot anyway, and i think it fixes itself.

do you have anything like that?

It says F1 to run the setup manager. It says press F8 for "BBS POPUP" When I press F8, it returns...
Go-!> Boot Menu
I'm not quite sure how to respond to that one... Pressing enter does nothing.

No, the RAM is not the problem.

The CMOS battery shouldn't be the problem either. What happened was he was trying to reflash his BIOS with an updated firmware. It appears the flash program he used had an option to delete the checksum of the CMOS defaulted on, so he figured that that was supposed to happen. It's now giving him that error. Normally, it would allow you to press F2 to continue on, but this is not the case. It won't let you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom