So, I'm working on a computer that I think got hit by lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
So here's the story.
When I first got the computer to work on, it wouldn't even turn on. I tried a working power supply still with no luck. I replaced the motherboard and used the working power supply (other one wouldn't work) and the computer ran, but the video card, power switch, and CPU fan were all bad. So, I replaced them all.

Now, I have a new motherboard, good power supply, new case with power switch, new video card, and a new heatsink & fan. All are working now. I started reinstalling Windows and the computer kept freezing up during the GUI screen where there is a list on the left and it says there's roughly 35 minutes remaining. It always freezes in that one spot.

I took out the RAM and replaced them with a working stick of RAM. It would still freeze up in this same spot. I'm thinking the CPU is bad as well. It got very hot and at one time the BIOS said it was 106° C. I don't know if it was right or not because that's hotter than ****! I'm working with an AMD socket A.

How can I figure out if this problem is in fact the CPU? I can get a new Socket A for like $40 on Newegg, so it might be worth a shot. I might also need to replace the RAM.

Can I take the HDD out, make it my slave drive, stick it in my computer, and run a test on it to make sure it's ok?

the hottest a socket A should run with stock cooling is about 80C. unless you live in some sort of desert then 109C is indicative of a problem (and beyond operating parameters anyway).
I take it you're confident that you've installed the Heatsink OK with thermal paste and the CPU fan spins good?

I fully expect the CPU is bad

MrCoffee said:
the hottest a socket A should run with stock cooling is about 80C. unless you live in some sort of desert then 109C is indicative of a problem (and beyond operating parameters anyway).
I take it you're confident that you've installed the Heatsink OK with thermal paste and the CPU fan spins good?

I fully expect the CPU is bad
Yeah, heatsink is installed correctly and fan is spinning at roughly 4800-4900 RPMs like it should.
This is the one I'm using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106041

I'll probably call them up today and tell them that we need to replace the CPU and the RAM.

Anyone know if I can put the HDD as a slave drive in my computer and test it with some utility? What program can I test it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom